Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'macOS' started by thexmac, Dec 28, 2004.
According to RumorMill, Tiger will be released in January. Here.
Lol. Yeah, sure.
Not likely, the developer seeds suggests there's some time till we see Tiger released.
I agree - it sure doesn't seem like Tiger's quite ready for release yet. There are still significant known issues that need to be fixed in the latest developer seeds.
At the very best, I'd say maybe we'd get an announcement of a shiping date at MacWorld and actual shipping will be a month or so later.
In reality, I'd say somewhere around a March to June announcement followed by shipping 4 weeks later.
I thought Apple just added features to each new release. Do they redesign the entire system architecture with each release?
umm... let's try to explain this... X is a major major revision.. 10.0 (major revision) 10.1 (Major Revision) 10.1.1 (minor revision) 10.2 (major revision), 10.3 (major revision) 10.4 (major revision)... etc..
10.4 adds CoreData, CoreVideo, many enhancements, etc etc... it's a pretty major release.. it's the equivalent of windows 95 to windows 98 upgrade.. pretty significant.. it isn't just simple updates.. there's some pretty big changes under the hood.
I'll eat my hat if it is released in January. Rather I'd eat my shares of Apple stock. 10.3.7 has enough bugs reported already, it would be nothing short of a miracle to pull a complete revision of it out of the hat in January. They'd need some real magic.
And if it is released January, I wouldn't buy it until 10.4.5 has come out.
Oh wait a sec, they didn't say which January it will be released. Maybe they mean January 2006!
wait though guys, if they release iLife 05' in jan without tiger, that makes no sense... new software like ilife 05 being sold on panther? meh... u would think they would release tiger first, or who knows, maybe no ilife 05 in jan
What system would run Tiger nicley and smooth ??
Newer G4's and G5's, it also depends on the amount of ram you have.
I think iLife will work fine with Panther, and hence can go when its ready. This way Apple get to spread out the software upgrade costs a little, with iLife in Jan and Tiger before July.
Not a chance.
This rumor is too silly to refute with the 500 reasons why not.
Who knows though, maybe the Tiger builds that did get leaked were 6 month old builds, and all the people who have their hands on the latest builds really have been keeping their NDA. This would mean we really don't know how far Apple has progressed, and that a January release of Tiger could happen and it would be quite stable. Perhaps the difficulties with 10.3.7 were oversights as Apple may have been more focussed on fixing Tiger than Panther. Pure speculation mind you. I have no inside information.
I bet that rumor is false
This waiting is killing me. People are probably posting those rumors to increase page counts to their site. I predict an April or May release. Perhaps Tiger will ship with the new ~$500-$600 dollar iMac.
Tiger is the first Mac OS X version that makes me want to be a Cocoa & Java developer. Because I am tired of waiting, I tried out X code today on Panther and didn't realize how good it was and how easy it is to create a working program. It is just like VB .NET in some ways.
I can hardly wait to develop and compile my first 64bit app just for bragging rights. A 64bit "Hello World" program.
Tiger is scheduled for the first half of 2005. It could be. Anything is possibile.
My only thing about it is that the likely-ness if Tiger in 01/05 is like the likely-ness of Longhorn in 01/06.
so any G4 and G5 sold newly today at the apple store.
Would'nt 512MB ram do good ???
The more quality RAM the merrier. If you buy cheap RAM, expect kernel panics and other unexpected problems. For more on that, read my FAQ's section on RAM:
But to use tiger smooth 512 is enough or??
yeah i've been thinking this all along really. i always thought that the whole point of upgrading iLife would be to incorporate all the new goodies to be put into Tiger: core image/graphics, spotlite metadata, etc.
heh. well if it were longhorn, you might be on to something.
Hah, yea. And I've heard that a few components of Longhorn, like that new file system format or whatever it is, won't be done until 2007, and might not be included in the first version(s) of the OS.
Good news for Apple!
Tiger cannot be released in January. The OS needs to be polished as much as possible with all the under the hood stuff they're doing, much more than really as OSX .1 update we've seen. If Tiger is rushed, the OS and all the new programs that use those under the hood changes will show it.
They need to make sure Tiger is ready to go when switchers get their new headless imacs and want to update to Tiger. I bet Tiger will be released around March or April, giving apple enough time to finish up development, test it thoroughly and make sure its the best OSX update so far.
I have a feeling that "Tiger" 10.4 will be released sometime April 2005. It makes a lot of sense since it would give a 2-2.5 month period for new users and 10.3 users to upgrade and the numbers will be announced at WWDC 2005 for the developer to show that Mac OS X development and adoption is a great reason to develop for the platform.
This will also allow ample time to polish the new upgrade and if Apple/Steve Jobs didn't know it could be completed by then, he would have never said H1 2005.
April is my bet for Tiger to be released from its cage
All I can say is, you never know. Last year at WWDC, Apple released Tiger to developers, so you are inclined to think at that point the new OS was already built solidly enough for people to begin creating apps.
If so, why would a half year later be out of the question for consumer release? I'm not saying it will happen, but Steve did say "first half of 2005." If I'm not mistaken, WWDC is technically in the second half of the year.
Wouldn't it be awesome for announcements of iWork '05, iMac Mini, AND Tiger all at once?
It could happen. Will it? We'll just have to wait and see.