Tiger In Stores Now?!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by PlaceofDis, Apr 27, 2005.

1. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

the front page of apple.com now says that tiger is in stores?! two days early?! :eek:

2. Character Zero macrumors member

3. PlaceofDis thread starter macrumors Core

quick screenshot:

here:

Attached Files:

4. jzieske macrumors regular

5. PlaceofDis thread starter macrumors Core

here is another shot, just so people dont think im crazy, and yes it has now gone back to the pre-release page.....

Attached Files:

6. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

The page is updated via your local time. maybe camino just decided to send the wrong date or something.

7. mac-er macrumors 65816

I saw it on Safari.

I've never heard of that. The site is updated when they post new information.

The Webmaster screwed up. Anyone want the position?
    :rolleyes:

8. PlaceofDis thread starter macrumors Core

yes at first i almost believed it because of all the early releases as it is, but once it changed back i knew what had happened. lasted a few refreshes too :rolleyes:

9. Mudbug Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

10. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Apple didn't post the wrong page. Instead, it was a temporal disruption in the Internet subspace that made a page posted this coming Friday appear today.

11. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

Yeah, I'd say if anyone did any sort of website or client/server application that trusts the client's date/time over the servers, they should get fired pretty quickly. :rolleyes:

Something tells me he's not THAT dumb... but then again, he DID upload the page 2 days early so who knows. ;)

12. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000

I doubt the guy will get fired....it's not like he leaked specs or anything. Is it a surprise that Tiger will be in stores on Friday? Of course not.

The Power Mac image is still from the current all black page as you can see the black corners around it. Obviously he isn't done yet. :)

13. nsb3000 macrumors 6502

nsb3000

Exactly. If you'll notice, you can change the number of days it says just by changing your machines local clock. I really freaked it out when I set my clock to April 2004--the date image did not display at all. In any-case this was not a slip up by Apple, as the headline implies.

14. nsb3000 macrumors 6502

nsb3000

Well, this time I think your right. But they did this last time with Panther as well, but than it was a clock that counted down with minutes and seconds, so the local-clock thing makes more sense. What they should really do is look up the time zone of the requesting computer by IP address, and choose the appropriate image that way. That would, of course be a little overkill for something this small, but it would avoid the local machine with bad clocks problem. (Which by the way, happens a lot with windows XP, because it, unlike OS X, has no network time synch feature. How long have we had this...since OS 9 or something...come on Microsoft!)

15. Bendit macrumors regular

It makes sense to use the client's time as it is getting released at midnight locally in each time zone.

Who cares if it breaks if you change your browser settings? It's not a critical application.

16. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

The counter is based off the users time, thats it. The In Stores Now thing must've been a goof up

Attached Files:

17. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Yvan256

I like bashing Microsoft like everyone else here, but based on facts (such as their well-known security holes, etc).

But Windows XP does have atomic-clock-syncing too. And it's optionnal, just like on OS X.

Edit: See Ryon's screenshot.

18. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Yvan256

Yep, I get that text too when I disable Javascript in Opera.

19. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

i think only you guys would get this picky about it though :-/ it's not a critical application. who cares if it's wrong. goto any number of pages and it'll say it's not available until the 29th. the store for example which does not base it's images on the time of the users computer.

20. reidab macrumors newbie

It's more likely a glitch somewhere in the Akami mirroring than anything else.

21. Ryon macrumors member

There is a time sync on WinXP. Please get your facts straight before bashing:

[​IMG]

22. mac-er macrumors 65816

Seeing that placeofdis and I are in different time zones, that makes no sense.

23. Ryon macrumors member

(Oops, looks like Yvan256 beat me to it. Sorry for the redundancy.)

24. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

Too true, that was one of the things I was glad to see them finally do in WinXP.

Of course, the internet time feature doesn't work at all behind my company's firewall. Corporate security, accurate time... guess you can't have it all.

25. mac-er macrumors 65816

I changed the time on my computer to 6:00 PM on Friday, April 29.

The page did not change to the "mistaken" page that was posted by placeofdis. The counter simply said "Tiger Available Friday, April 29" (and the rest of the page looked the same).

If all the people arguing this was a server error, that page should've changed to the page posted by placeofdis.

This was a human error, plain and simple.

They were probably getting the page changes ready for 6pm on Friday, and accidently posted it. They have done it before with specs of hardware.

And for those you saying this person would not be fired (if this truly was human error), you haven't read enough about Steve Jobs. He views mistakes like this (even small ones) as a sign of failure and embarrassment.