Tiger increases Airport Signal Strength!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by evilbert420, May 2, 2005.

1. evilbert420 macrumors member

I typically use my new AlBook 15" on a desk in my living room, next to my keyboard/music equipment. I was surprised when I bought it that I was getting only about 50-60% signal strength, when my other computers (some PCs, but also a PowerMac G4 MDD Dual1G) usually averaged 80% in the same location. Moving the screen (antenna are on either side of the LCD) didn't effect the signal strength much if at all.

After loading Tiger, I find my signal strength is back up to 80-85%. Instead of two bars indicated on my Menu Bar icon, I now get four bars.

I haven't seen others indicating this, so I'm wondering if this is an actual improvement to Airport Extreme or if it's simply reading signal strength accurately now.

2. 36183 Guest

yeah i noticed wifi improvements on my powerbook with tiger, i wonder what they did to make it better seeing that tiger is just software.

3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I doubt its acutally impoved the signal. The OS only has so much control over hardware. Its might just be a more acurate reading.

4. 36183 Guest

or a firmware improvement, or tiger is just lying.

5. jmsait19 macrumors 6502

i also am noticing more bars in my airport signal. i vote for better firmware.

6. mcmav37 macrumors 6502

According to this review , the indicator has been revised to indicate performance and throughput.

Hmm, it still just feels better to see 3-4 bars instead of 2-3.

7. tekmoe macrumors 68000

the true test will be when i take my pb to the coffee shop and see 4 different wireless networks. as of right now, i can only see two. my thinkpad can see four. after i upgrade to tiger, i will test this.

8. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I'm pretty sure the OS cannot install firmware without your consent.