Tiger Install at Apple Store

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by gdprof27, Apr 4, 2005.

1. gdprof27 macrumors member

Dec 27, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Hey gang,

Semi-newbie here going into my second week with my 15" PB.

I was wondering; if/when Tiger is released can I go to the local Apple Store, purchae it and have them install it for me?

Is that part of Standard Care or ProCare?
  2. liketom macrumors 601

Apr 8, 2004

what if they had to do this for every one ?
  3. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

Oct 8, 2002
    The Bamboo Forest
    It's seriously not that hard to do. Trust yourself a bit...
  4. wnameth macrumors 65816

Nov 18, 2004
    like you said, you are a bit of a noob, and only have had the honor to have a 15" pb for 2 weeks. I assume that you are a previous windows user, so if you ever installed an operating system on it, then you will be fine.
    apple makes it very easy :)
  5. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    If you're really worried, take your Powerbook into the store when you go into to purchase Tiger and install it sitting in the theatre. You'll have something to watch while waiting for the progress bar to move and in the unlikely event of anything going wrong, you'll be very close to a Genius. ;)
  6. gdprof27 thread starter macrumors member

Dec 27, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Just making sure of two things:

1. I am a noob...in every sense of installing an OS on a PC. I've never done it before.

2. I can handle even the littlest moderations to my baby.

It's a common trait, I think, of switchers to not mess with anything until someone else tells 'em it's OK to do that. I am deserving of this baby and intend to make the most out of my purchase!

I'll be back here for answer after answer to what will probably be the most mundane and simplistic Mac questions imaginable. Please keep the giggling to a minimum....I myself had a good chuckle after I hit "submit reply" and looked at what I had just inquired.

Thanks gang for the help! Honestly!
  7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    it is really rather easy to upgrade your OS, i wouldnt worry about it too much

and this is what we are here for, to re-assure you that everything is okay, just remember that there is a search function ;) :D
  8. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Jun 26, 2004
    I dont think it a common trait among switchs. It a common trait among none techacal mind people. Windows or mac they dont mess with somethign unless they are told it is ok and safe to do and even then they are pretty leary about it. (which also explains the random tech support I have to do)

As for installing the OS it should be really straight forward. Put in the Tiger cd. I going to assume it will autoplay. click install and follow the very easy instertion. I also suggest you have a good book to read while it is doing it.

I never installed a mac OS but when I have install XP (I think I am up to 6 or 8 times now accross 5 or 6 computers) I am pretty lazy about it. I start the install go off and do something for a while come back tell and tell it to start the next step, go off do something checking in on it every 15 to 20 min to see if I need to start up the next step. That or I just read a book while it was doing it. So for me the install will take any where from 1 to 5 hours depending on how offen I check.

Either way it is pretty easy to do and I would not worry about it. Just make sure you have a good book to read while it is installing because it will take it while to do. I am going to guess bettween 45-90 min to do
  9. Spock macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2002
    Just make sure You plug in the AC.
  10. jane doe macrumors 6502

Feb 18, 2004
    They will install it for you, they may charge you for the time, but I'm sure someone can help you get it up and going. There is always phone support as well.
  11. gdprof27 thread starter macrumors member

Dec 27, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Thanks people!

You have put my fears behind me concerning Tiger. Next question:

I have searched the froums on advice on how to find the best deal on the Standard Version of Office 2004. I have come up with so many threads that it became difficult to sort through them all....anyone have some snap-advice on where to go or what to do?
  12. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

Jul 7, 2004
    I say the cheapest way to get Office for Mac is to find someone that goes to college close to where you live (a friend maybe). Give them to money to buy the software for you using their student discount. I just checked the pricing of my school's computer school. I can buy the full version of Office for Mac for $129.95. Compare that to $250+ at a typical store, that is a good deal.
  13. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Jun 26, 2004

that is massivly illage and is just the same as downloading it off the net. To do that you are soposed to be a student. Besides I get all MS products free though my school.
  14. mac-er macrumors 65816

Apr 9, 2003
    I seem to remember that it only took me 15-20 minutes to upgrade from 10.2 to 10.3.

This isn't Windows. :)
  15. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Jun 26, 2004

So you basicly paid for a service pack that now that just sucks and is a rip off because that was how long it took me to go from SP1 to SP2. I was talking about a complete OS replacement. Windows upgrade time I was using was going from pre windows XP or no OS that takes quite a bit of time. Replacing an OS takes a lot longer than a service pack upgrade that 10.2 to 10.3 was.
  16. twoodcc macrumors P6

Feb 3, 2005
    Right side of wrong
    i thought going from 10.2 to 10.3 was like installing a new OS, right? just like we'll be going from 10.3 (panther) to 10.4 (tiger)
  17. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    Tiger won't be a new OS. It is still Mac OS X. What Apple will be selling is an upgrade to X. A new OS occurred when we went from Mac OS 9 to X.
  18. mac-er macrumors 65816

Apr 9, 2003
    No, going from 10.2 to 10.3 was just like going from 10.3 to 10.4 (like the above poster said).

Mac OS install times are A LOT shorter than Windows.

I even did a clean install from my restore CDs, and it only took about 30 minutes (and that included installing the applications)
  19. risc macrumors 68030

Jul 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    @ wdlove

That's like saying going from Mandrake Linux to Debian Linux isn't a new OS just because they are still GNU/Linux. Come on - the update from 10.3 to 10.4 is a new OS, everything is completely different from the ground up! 10.3 to 10.4 is definitely NOT a service pack upgrade, unless going from 2000 to XP is a service pack?
  20. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Mar 13, 2004
    10.3 to 10.4 isn't "completely different from the ground up". There a just a lot of new technologies that have been built on top of 10.3. To rewrite every OS upgrade would take an ungodly amount of time... and probably create A LOT of new bugs to deal with. I won't agree with you that this is a completely new OS, based on my previous note. I will, however, agree with you that this isn't a service pack upgrade. Windows SP's seem to have a very "security super duper mega to the max" feel, while Apple's 10.3 and 10.4 upgrades have been extremely featureful in comparison (I'm not arguing lack of security updates within the upgrades; that's a given). Apple's upgrades do change a fair amount of the technology in the OS but I don't think it warrants this "new OS" tag.
  21. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Feb 27, 2005
    Even when upgrading my G3 to OS X, it didn't take all that long... :)
  22. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

Jun 6, 2003
    Solon, OH
    You might be surprised at just how quickly Mac OS X can install itself. I do my installations without all the cruft I'll never use (IE for Mac, for example) and without stuff that I have a newer version of (Stuffit Expander is the best example I can think of). If I skip the "checking installation disc" step, it installs in about 6 minutes. 2 minutes later, it finishes rebooting (it'll reboot itself after installing if you don't do anything) and starts the intro movie and setup screens.
  23. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

Feb 4, 2004
    Florida Resident
    I believe Tiger will come on a DVD installation disk but I am not 100% sure. If that is the case, the install will be quick and painless since you don't have to wait for your Mac to insert a disk every 10 minutes or so.

I am doing a clean install after my backup. I'll use the DVD that came with my Mac to install all the extra stuff after I install Tiger. Installing it at the store would be cool. If you had any problems, even normal Mac people could probably help. Get a couple of people with iBooks and Powerbooks and you can have a Tiger install party.

By the way, it probably makes sense to use A/C power to install Tiger and let it have time to build the index for Spotlight. I wonder how long the index will take with no files other than Tiger.
  24. tdhurst macrumors 68040

Dec 27, 2003
    Portland, OR
    Um....what? English class not a required course?
    Yeah, hey, it's great you get free stuff, but how does that help him?
    To be honest, the Office Student Teacher Edition does not require ID, even at a retail store, so why not try it? This is one of the few if not only academic packages that are priced for students but are offered outside of campuses.

I really doubt you will find the standard edition anywhere cheaply, unless you get a used version or find a good sale.
  25. jmsait19 macrumors 6502

Jan 26, 2004
    so while we are on the topic, what is the best way to install tiger? a clean install, an archive and install, or upgrade?

ive pretty much decided im not doing the upgrade, so that leaves a clean install or archive and install. what benefit does an archive and install have over a clean install?

i did a clean install a while ago. i backed most everything up, but lost my bookmarks in safari and maybe a couple other minor things, nothing major. the reason why is that i wanted to clean install but only had a limited amount of back up space so i picked stuff out of my home folder to back up and left some stuff out. if i had done the entire home folder would that have fixed the problem?