Tiger install ...HD error help

Discussion in 'macOS' started by zagato27, Aug 7, 2005.

1. zagato27 macrumors 65816

zagato27

I just got my copy of Tiger, yes bought from Apple. Tried to install and kept coming up with a note that the HD had an error. So, used the utilies on the Tiger install to repair disk. It came up with HF error that can't be repaired. Tried to do the repair and verify permissions and then run the repair disk and still problems. I've tried a number of times to do a A&I install and at the very end it kept coming up with unable to install due to harddrive problem. I almost did a "upgrade" install but chickened out and quit thinking that if "it" didn't work I'd really be introuble. I'm not at point where I want to do a clean/erase install and don't think that this would work if there is a problem w/ the HD. Gosh, where's the Mac fairy when you need her :( . BTW, my system is a G5 (1.6), Macally icekey keyboard, Logitech MX 1000 mouse. I'm running the latest version of Panther. Please some help here. Fingers crossed. Cheers

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Does Panther think your hard drive is shot too? Use the Disk Utility to find out. :)

3. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

In Disk Utility>highlight HD icon, look at bottom of page=S.M.A.R.T. status = "Verified" should show. If "Failing" or about to show. Back up your HD if not already. Do you have DiskWarrior? If you have the updated, bootable disk you might want to run DW.
    X

4. zagato27 thread starter macrumors 65816

zagato27

Well, I don't think that my hd is shot. I just tried to install Tiger and of course it failed. My wife muttered something about insanity is doing the same thing over and over when you know it won't work. Anyway, went to the utilities and repair disk. First it said the "the keys were out of order"....."rebuilding catalog B-Tree". Then it came up with " 1 HFS volume checked" "Could not be repaired because of an error". HFS volume, I don't have a clue. Mac fairy where are you????? Cheers

5. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

I had similar issues when I got Tiger last spring.

Solution = Erase and Install.

Yes, it sucks, but in the end, you have a clean new system.

Be sure to back up Classic and AppleWorks if ya need 'em, as the install DVD of Tiger doesn't have them.