Tiger install on Mac Mini

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jonnyfatman, Mar 30, 2006.

1. jonnyfatman macrumors newbie

I recently bought a copy of Mac OS X Tiger from a bloke off Ebay for £35. I have a mac mini running Panther, but it states 'iBook G4' on the install DVD.
    Is it possible to get this to work with my mini?
    Cheers,
    Jonny

2. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

it's wrong that you paid 35 quid for some restore DVD's

evil ebayer who sold you them , unless you have an iBook that is:rolleyes:

3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

It probably won't work. Over the last few years, apple has added protection to the install disks that are packaged with systems. The disk will only work on an iBook (and probably specifically the version iBook that the disk came with).

4. trogdor! macrumors regular

yah, those sound like restore disks which usualy will only work with the era of machine they were intended for.

5. jonnyfatman thread starter macrumors newbie

That'll teach me to pay more attention to the smallprint! I was hoping there might be a little file to modify so that I can either pretend my mac mini is a ibook or something like that.

6. dr_lha macrumors 68000

You got ripped off. Those are install DVDs and will only work on an iBook G4. I know this because I tried to install Tiger from my wife's iBook G4's install DVD on my Powerbook and it gave an error that this disk would not work on my computer. I had a legal copy of Tiger for the PB BTW :), I was just trying out to see if her install DVDs would work on my machine.

7. jonnyfatman thread starter macrumors newbie

Meh. I'll have to see if the guy at work with an iBook wants to try them. HOw's the mac core solo btw? I've got the mini G4 but I'm getting a bit frustrated with its sluggishness

8. dr_lha macrumors 68000

I love my Mini Core Solo.

Very very fast compared to any G4 machine I've used. Its slower than my Dual G5, but it gets surprisingly close to the speed of that machine given its cheapness.

Rosetta apps are a bit sluggish of course, but the only ones I use are Office, and they don't exactly require a fast CPU.

I put 1Gb RAM in the Mini and would highly recommend that (EDIT: For any machine).