Tiger installation freezes - help!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by gemlefab, Jan 25, 2006.

1. gemlefab macrumors newbie

My ibook G3 800 which has happily run Tiger for about 8 months recently had a kernal panic and I decided to do an erase and install as I wanted to get rid of a partition on my HD anyway.

I did this with my original os x 10.1 disks as I didn't have my Tiger to hand and all was well and booting perfectly.

Having got my Tiger DVD back I tried to install it. The disk boots fine, asks me to choose a language and goes to the "preparing installation" screen with the moving stripy bar. The bar then freezes and I can never get any further with the installation::confused: .

Does anybody know why?

The ibook has 30GB of memory left as I haven't put anything back on it yet apart from os x so it shouldn't be that.

Any ideas much appreciated! :)

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Did this exact same disk work on the iBook before?

3. BearRanger macrumors member

BearRanger

Don't confuse memory with disk space. You have about 30 GB of free disk space. You probably have 1GB of memory or less. :)

In any event, the most likely scenario is that you have bad memory. Check to make sure it's seated properly, then try the install again. If it still fails, see if you can find someone to loan you compatible memory to test this further. Or visit your nearest Apple store if that's possible.

Good luck.

4. janey macrumors 603

janey

dunno if this might help..but... are your tiger disks damaged in any way? or is your drive faulty? That's a really strange problem..

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

That's what I've been thinking. If possible, try a different OSX install disk. :)

6. BearRanger macrumors member

BearRanger

My apologies

I realize now that your request stated that you successfully booted 10.1 on your iMac. I clearly didn't read your original question fully and offered you bad advice because of it.

Ignore what I said earlier.

I think Mad Jew hit it on the head. Your Tiger install disk appears to be damaged in some way. It may just be schmutz on the disk or something. You may try wiping it with a soft cloth. (not a paper towel) When wiping, start at the center of the disk and gently wipe outward to the edge. Do this for the entire surface of the disk if you can't see any visible marks on it.

You were doing a new install with the Tiger disk and not an upgrade, right? Just to make sure it's not another fairly esoteric error condition...

7. gemlefab thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks - I now have a cunning plan!

Hello,

Thanks for everybody's excellent advice (This is a great forum!).

I think that the issue is with my memory - my 512MB card went kaput and so I had to take it out. So therefore although I have lots of disk space, as someone else pointed out, I don't have much memory, only 128mb which is too small for hungry tiger :) .

I have ordered a brand new shiny 512mb card then will try again. I will keep you posted - thanks for your help!

G