Tiger Installation Kernel Panics on PowerBook

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MacRumorSkeptic, Apr 30, 2005.

1. MacRumorSkeptic macrumors regular

After doing an erase & install I get a kernel panics all the time! I've tried many re-installs and gotten variations on the crash. Sometimes it will crash mid registration, at start-up, or after I exit my widgets. This is a DISASTER!

I even tried reinstalling Panter which worked fine, but after doing the Tiger Upgrade install everything went bad again. The Apple Support pages don't seem to have anything for this specific problem. PLEASE HELP!!!

2. ebally macrumors regular

I'm experiencing something similar with my PowerBook G4 800Mhz. So far I have had 3 Kernal panics since my clean install of Tiger. :(

At least now (compared to Panther) you can send crash reports for Kernal panics automatically. I think we will be seeing 10.4.1 in around 3 weeks! (Hopefully)

3. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

Ive been hearing quite a few problems with powerbooks and tiger. :( I think I herd that 10.4.1 is going to be out in the middle of next month to go along with some Pro apps.

4. Pismo macrumors 6502

Pismo

Okay, now I'm worried. I hope I don't have problems like that after I install it. I'm doing a clean install so I don't see how it could be a software problem. Could it be a RAM issue or some other unsupported hardware?

5. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    It might be the RAM. If you have any non-Apple RAM in there, can you swap the Apple sticks back in and see if the problem is still there?

Had you updated any drivers/firmware for graphics cards, your Superdrive (to make it multiregion), iScroll to make the trackpad scroll with fingers? Any other non-standard firmware that might be causing problems?

As far as the clean install went, how did you tranfer your settings back over? Did you copy any parts of your Home directory straight back in? I did read that Tiger's not as happy with that as Panther was from Jaguar.

There are Powerbooks out there which are just fine so it's unlikely to be a problem with the standard configurations. Mine is a 15" 1.25 Powerbook which I did an Archive and Install on without any problems.

6. Pismo macrumors 6502

Pismo

I'm not transferring any settings or preferences to Tiger. The only thing I'm saving is my address book, mp3's, Safari bookmarks, and documents. I'm installing all of my apps from their original CD's/DVD's and I'll reconfigure them.

7. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

i have a powerbook *sig* and Tiger has not given me a kernal panic or anything, ran slowly the first night, but let it sit for the night and it is faster than panther in my opinion

8. MacRumorSkeptic thread starter macrumors regular

It was the non-Apple RAM. Took it out and everything works fine. Guess I'll have to live with smaller memory for awhile. Hopefully they'll fix the issue in a couple weeks with the next Software Update. Thanks for the help. :)

9. GeorgeTheMonkey macrumors member

I got a Kernel Panic as well on my 1.67 PowerBook 17", after I did a clean install. Not fond of them, to say the least.

All's well so far after that, though! Spotlight and QuickSilver have been running a bit quirky, as has Safari been on my dialup connection here at home, but other than that, am happy.

Well, I also couldn't figure out a way to bring my old keychain over either, so that's throwing me for a loop. (I haven't checked my email for a whole two days! Can't remember the bloody password!)

Edit: I did add new RAM, on sale at CompUSA, after installing Tiger. I hope it doesn't act up again!