Tiger is 2 weeks late!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bankshot, Apr 15, 2005.

1. bankshot macrumors 65816

bankshot

And Adobe sucks.

My wife and I had our taxes figured awhile ago, but like good procrastinators, we didn't actually fill out the forms for mailing until this morning. :D Unfortunately Panther's Preview can't fill in PDF forms, so we had to download Adobe Reader to do it. Like past years, the plan was to use OS X's print to PDF feature from Reader (since you generally can't save filled in forms from Reader), email them to work, and actually print there. Adobe said no.

Apparently Adobe Reader 7 is able to somehow bypass the Save As PDF... button in Panther's Print dialog. A message comes up saying something like "This function is not supported." :mad: Wow, way to be nice to your customers, Adobe. They apparently went out of their way to do this (you know, so you have to pay $500 or whatever for the full Acrobat - yeah right!). I'm sure it took a lot of hacking to do, and I wonder if they even overwrote some piece of the core OS to detect when Adobe Reader is requesting that function and disable it. Bad Adobe! :eek:

So we eventually had to download a previous version (5.0) of Acrobat Reader and use that. I was actually amazed that it was still available on Adobe's site, given their blatant attempt to disable that functionality.

Tiger would have solved everything. Its Preview is supposed to be able to fill in forms, so this whole mess would have been avoided. Apple, why didn't you think of tax day?? :rolleyes:

2. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

Sounds like all the problems you had would easily justify the deductible expense of TurboTax. It works very well on OS X. I've used it for years.

3. IndyGopher macrumors 6502a

IndyGopher

I have completed 136 tax returns this year, and 11 people have had enough other misc. deductions to cover the 2% AGI adjustment required to actually deduct the cost of tax preparation. (One of the 3 stats I tracked this year) (If anyone is interested, only 72% of the MFJ people with mortgages older than 2 years had enough deductions to itemize (ie, more than the $9700 standard deduction) and only 3 people asked about the Hope credit (for education) by name.)

Anyway, the point is that while the cost of tax preparation software is potentially deductible, the vast majority of people do not legitimately meet the requirements.

4. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

and shame on adobe for trying to protect the software they are trying to sell. yes, shame on them, indeed. (sarcasm)

5. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

furthermore...i would like to THANK adobe for coming up with a universal file format that works. PDF has made my life as a designer A LOT easier, especially as a mac guy working amidst thousands of windows computers.

6. johnnowak macrumors 6502

7. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

That's news to me. Then who did? :confused:

8. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

9. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

That's news to me too. A quick check of Adobe's site shows they take credit, and they are given credit on planetpdf.com as well. And regardless of whether they actually invented it (please show me who did, if it weren't adobe) without them, it never would have popularized.

10. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

11. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Why people make statements on the internet without researching is beyond me. Hell I know I do it but you run the risk of crashing and burning. As long as google is here proof is only a search away.

12. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

errm...i believe he was kidding
    imo this pretty stupid but adobe came up with the format so i'm sure they could un-license it from apple or something like that...*snaps fingers*

13. bankshot thread starter macrumors 65816

bankshot

It's one thing to protect the software they're trying to sell. That's perfectly ok, and I'm all for that (unlike a lot of "Free Software" weenies who really just want stuff for free... :p). But to actively disable a feature in a competitor's product is crossing the line in my opinion. Rather than competing by putting out a product with better, more compelling features, they resorted to dirty tricks. Are they scared of what Apple's up to?

14. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

Reminds me of the new 10.3.9 update: Apple, why didn't you think of daylight savings time? I find it slightly absurd that they're releasing a fix for daylight savings time in an update shortly after dst, but now is better than never.

I'm curious to know if Apple did the disabling themselves, and then decided to screw Adobe and just come out with the renovated Preview?
    -Chase

15. gco212 macrumors 6502

Technically, are you even a customer if you refuse to buy anything from them?

16. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Obviously your serum level has fallen too low...

Please start taking your liberal daily dose of vitamin Beer again.

[​IMG]

17. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

This was only recently disabled, I think the real reason was because people were using it to bypass the protection on some PDF files.

AppleMatt

18. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

For (I think) the fourth year in a row, I used Taxact. Nice easy web walk-through interface, handles itemized deductions, imports the appropriate data from previous years' returns, and is free to use (if you print out a PDF tax return to submit by mail) and only $9.95 to submit your tax return electronically. It also let me pay what I owed with an electronic check.