Tiger is making me mad >_<

Discussion in 'macOS' started by puyo, May 3, 2005.

1. puyo macrumors newbie

After installing it last Thursday on my dual 2.0 G5, everything was fine. But now for the past 4 days, I have forced to manually reboot my system over ten times.

Safari, Firefox, Mail, Photoshop, and a few other apps CONSTANTLY freeze up and I have to Force Quit them. Sometimes these apps just quit on themselves. When I was running Panther, maybe every 2-3 weeks Firefox or Safari would crash. But now it is almost every 2-3 hours.

It's really making me mad! iTunes continues to play music as every other application has frozen or crashed. GRRR! :mad: I've already lost many unsaved changes to my schoolwork because of these crashes.

Has anybody else experienced these problems this frequently with Tiger? I have not changed anything else except install the new OS, so I don't know why all my apps hate me now.

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Backup. Wipe HD. Do a clean Tiger install. Re-install apps. Should work. If not, check for bad RAM. Good luck.

3. asif786 macrumors 65816

asif786

couldn't have said it better myself! looks like we'll have to reference to this post on every other tiger thread!

4. puyo thread starter macrumors newbie

gah! i think it'll take me forever to back up my 360gigs of data. Guess I'll have to do it after finals.

5. maxterpiece macrumors 6502a

maxterpiece

I'm having a similar problem. Tiger worked fine for the first few days. Of course there was the occasional glitch, but now everything accidentally quits all the time!!! It's incredibly irritating. I hit F12 to pull up widgits and click to add them and about 2 seconds after i add each one, that widgit crashes. Mail crashes randomly all the time. Safari crashes as soon as I open it. I opened software update and even that crashed after about 15 seconds. Fortunately firefox still seems to be working. iTunes is also still working fine.

oh yeah, i'm running on a powermac g5 1.6ghz single processor with 1gb of ram.

6. iAtom macrumors member

Tiger is really frustrating me too. My main problem is the new iChat. It quits on me like every few minutes, sometimes up to 5 or 6 times in a minute. I miss a lot of messages that people send me because it quits randomly when I get messages sometimes. And a lot of times when I reopen it it quits right away again. Sometimes I will get a message from somebody and it will make the sound, but no window pops up, so I have no way of knowing who it was from. Other things have been crashing more often too. I lost a lot of work that I did in Garageband because that quit on me. Once the whole computer just froze up and I had to restart. Then when I restarted it just got stuck on the startup screen.

Oh ya and I only just installed Tiger yesterday. :mad:

7. TheMasin9 macrumors 6502a

TheMasin9

interesting

funny, i have like the same config you do cept mine is the earlier gen and superdrive instead, no probs at all with any apps crashing or anything, just must be unlucky or something.

8. maxterpiece macrumors 6502a

maxterpiece

I have the same config as him as well on my second computer (except i have a superdrive) and I have no problems with that computer. Somehow I think applications are getting corrupted very easily. I'm in the process of backing up the G5 right now and I'll try doing a clean install. I'll let you all know how it goes.

9. slb macrumors 6502

I've had four kernel panics since I installed on the 29th. I did an Archive and Install, but this weekend I'm going to back things up manually and just Erase and Install.

I have an M-Audio Firewire 410 and I can't help wondering if it's just hardware driver issues (M-Audio's drivers have always been iffy, and there's no official 10.4-compliant driver on their site).

10. maxterpiece macrumors 6502a

maxterpiece

okay wiped everything clean and reinstalled and now everything is working swimmingly! Now it's really like a whole new computer......

11. fash macrumors newbie

y'know jus before i read this thread i was thinking, hmmm where can i get a copy of Tiger to install?....and now after this thread i'm thinking twice bout it :( is it really that bad? or is it jus a select few?

bty when was Tiger released in america? was only release last fri in UK :confused: :confused:

12. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

"Erase and installed" Tiger on 2 machines here. (one of which is an iMac G4 severely short on RAM)
    No problems at all with a wide variety of applications.

13. andysmith macrumors 6502

Did you Upgrade or Archive & Install? I've done A&I on three machines with no problems.
    If you did upgrade, try re-installing Tiger with A&I.

14. andysmith macrumors 6502

Same date.

15. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

My Tiger install worked fine for a few days and then started freezing on me forcing a manual reboot. What do I suspect as the culprit?

ipfw.

I just re-enabled it yesterday afternoon from my Panther install. I do all my firewall via the command line, and Tiger has a new version of ipfw, called ipfw2. I suspect the changes between ipfw original recipe and this new version are causing my problems.

So if those of you who have similar problems are command line (or BrickHouse/SunShield, basicaly anything except Apple's built-in firewall crap)users of ipfw. Try disabling it for a little while and see if you still have troubles.