Tiger is Still a Complete Mess

Discussion in 'macOS' started by BWhaler, Jul 13, 2005.

1. BWhaler macrumors 68020

BWhaler

Ok, so 10.4.2 is a big step in the right direction, but it's still very buggy.

Here are some of my outstanding bugs:

1. Spotlight does not index messages in the Trash folder of mail

2. Safari will still not show the scroll bar properly if you load a page with lots of images. (Go to gettyimages.com and do a search for an example.)

3. If you delete a folder with the window open, Tiger changes the name of the folder (why?, who knows) and does not close the folder

4. iChatAgent still perpetually crashed

5. Audio chats with Panther users still gets the bandwidth error, even if it is on the same LAN.

6. Mail and iChat still don't auto-hide at login.

7. Quartz 2D still a mystery

8. Mail still puts the wrong signature on reply emails when one has multiple email accounts.

9. Mail will still save a file INSIDE of a keynote file if you saved a keynote attachment prior to saving the new file. (This one is one of my favorite bugs.)

10. Mail messages forwarded by a rule still do not show up in the sent mail folder.

The list goes on an on...and this is just what I found in the past hour or so...

I am happy that 10.4.2 got rid of a lot of bugs. But too many remain. Way too many.

And no, I don't expect Tiger to be bug free, but as this list illustrates, Tiger is still too buggy for what we expect from a company like Apple. And I really hate being so negative, especially when talking about Apple, but this is simply pathetic.

Let's hope 10.4.3 is Tiger done right.

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I'm still waiting for the iPhoto bug fix, the Quicktime H.264 unsaturated video fix, and the Compressor 2.0.2 update that fixes blocky artifacts. So far, I've had to revert to Panther for these critical processes.

3. .:*Robot Boy*:. macrumors 6502

I can't say that I'm experiencing any problems with Tiger per-se, but it still feels to me to be somewhat incomplete. I mean, I'm running 10.4.2 on a 1.67GHz/2GB PowerBook G4 and it takes a while for some basic applications to open, Spotlight is nowhere near as quick as promised, Dashboard seems to use resources (CPU and RAM) in an inefficient manner.

Admittedly my PowerBook isn't particularly quick, but where are the noticeable speed increases and improved stability that everyone was talking about after Tiger's release?

Maybe I'm just expecting too much :rolleyes:.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I reckon most people "speed" improvements comes from simply doing a clean install of the OS.

5. iGary Guest

iGary

Yeah, Mail is kind of a mess. I'm considering moving to Entourage *shudders*. :(

6. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

I definitely aggree. Too many contruction sites remain in Tiger. Proxies also still don't work with iChat, which renders it virtually useless for anyone in need of this support.
    As I said in the other thread, I am hoping for 10.4.3, although I think we'll need at least 2 more for it to feel perfect. Let's hope that they don't screw up Leopard that badly.

7. iGary Guest

iGary

iChat AV is a joke.

It won't even work on a T1 to T1 connection. :rolleyes:

8. snowdog macrumors member

In the Finder, when in "list" mode, try to expand a column using the top bar.
    The mouse pointer doesn't change to let you know when you're at the right mark. You will end up clicking on the "Name", which will sort the files a-z or z-a. It's been this way since Tiger was introduced.

Automator is PAINFULLY slow, almost no response, when editing workflows with connections to iPhoto. It's like it want to scan the whole library all the time. It's not usable.
    Been this way since Tiger was released.
    Worst part, it has been confirmed by Apple at their official forum. But not resolved - yet.

What about the lack of consistency in the gui department?
    Any Linux distribution looks better today than Mac OSX.
    (I might be stretching a bit there, but you get the point :D )

9. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

i did a clean install of panther (because of a hd failure) and a clean install of tiger. tiger feels faster than panther ever was.

10.4.2 feels a little faster in many gui things. safari scrolls definately a lot faster now.

i think the systems get better every time. they improve on the basic system functions.

the problems in the moment are more in keeping the gui in the variuos apps consistent and making the application functionality more logic and transparent.

10. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

I feel pretty happy that I'm still with 10.3.9 , grrrreat! :)

11. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I agree andiwm2003 but I still think there's a bit of a myth involved as to how much faster each incarnation truly is due to the clean-install process. :)

12. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    So long as you're happy to use the Library or add to a new Album you can work around the spinning Automator trying to scan your library for folders/albums. Just don't click on the drop down menu from the Library since then it will slow down and start beachballing.

13. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

100% agree. I feel like I got my computer back when I downgraded. I'm happy to wait for 10.4.9: with any luck they'll have it sorted by then. Mail might even get it's progress report back...

14. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Make sure it is done right in 10.4.3. Let Apple know the bugs you come across in Tiger. If they officially know them then they can do their best to fix them.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/feedback/

15. Awfers macrumors newbie

Stupid question, but...

I agree, Tiger is very buggy... getting annoying.. 10.3.8 was perfect, no real huge problems..

Tiger is slow and unwieldy..

How do I "downgrade" back to 10.3.x?

Will I lose all my saved files and installed programs?

16. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

You've gotta do a complete erase and install from memory.

Yep, so back everything up.

17. hob macrumors 68020

hob

Of all of your points, I could only comment on 4 of them:

1. I don't have any experience with this in general, but some applications like Toast Titanium just didn't show up when I tried to find it the other day in spotlight....
    2. That's pretty shocking, I hadn't noticed that before! Everybody go look at gettyimages, do a search and notice how the scrollbar just goes mental!
    3. I just did this to see what would happen, the folder window stayed open and unchanged, and the folder went into the trash - no problems here
    6. I don't use iChat but noticed that mail doesn't autohide. iCal has always taken it's time autohiding, I would have hoped this would be sorted by now! It loads, then it thinks about something for a moment, displays my calendar THEN hides... :rolleyes:

Is that "progress report" were mail shows how it's doing - as in Message Sending (28%)... - I found that useful when sending large emails and was surprised when it was gone!

18. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Yup, that's the one.
    And for god's sake don't do what I did, and back up a bunch of aliases instead of the actual folders! Two years of records and architectural drawings down the drain... :(

19. Awfers macrumors newbie

Thanks.. will try and put aside the time to do it... :rolleyes:

Am rather disappointed in Tiger.. I "switched" from W2K machine to my PB 12", only to have this happen 6 months afterwards....

20. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

1. I think this is a feature, not a bug. Why search among things that are trashed?

2. I noticed that under 10.4.1, but I haven't encountered this under 10.4.2, and the site you mentioned works fine.

3. I have no idea what you're talking about. It only changes name if there's already a folder in Trash with the same name as the one you're trashing. Ant then it should change the name as there cannot be to folders or files with the same name in any folder (and Trash is just another folder).

4, 5 & 6. Have no idea, don't use iChat and Mail is not in Log-in items (but others have reported that Mail doesn't auto hide).

7. The bug is that you don't understand it or what?

8. Mail always puts the right signature at my machine, always has.

9 & 10. Haven't tried any of these.

You're absolutely sure that all those "bugs" are general OS X bugs...?

21. iGary Guest

iGary

Hate to say it, as it is so cliche, but at least we aren't dealing with Windows.

It took my significant other 3 hours to get his HP laptop to work nicely with his shuffle I got him. :rolleyes:

Had to bite my toungue through the whole thing.

But yes, we're spoiled and we want more, because as Mac users we expect it. ;)

22. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Here here. I'm one very grateful Mac user. :)

23. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Awww I thought you were starting to get off of the anti-windows, anti-M$ mentality when you said you were considering switching to Entourage.

Guess not

24. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

tiger is, in my opinion, the buggiest OS X release since 10.1. quite annoying. i've faith that they will correct the issues, I'd just like it to happen faster...

25. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

How about Panther and external firewire hard drives? I prefer the small bugs to the ones that result in deleted files. :(