Tiger killed my wireless range

Discussion in 'macOS' started by stoid, Apr 28, 2005.

1. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Before updating to Tiger I was always getting 3 or 4 bars in the menu icon. Now I'm getting 2 and sometimes only 1. What happened? Has anyone else experienced this?

2. KyleC macrumors member

3. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

Actually I've noticed the opposite, here where I have low reception of the university network, it frequently switches from 4 bars to 1. Before it never had more than one bar.

4. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

I would assume this is the issue at hand. I don't see why it would actually increase/decrease anything as its just software...

5. TigerPRO macrumors 6502

Good answer. :)

6. sorryiwasdreami macrumors 6502a

sorryiwasdreami

Mine is mediocre at best right now. If Tiger blows it, I probably won't be able to even connect to Google.

I think the poster who said that it's more accurate is probably on the right track. Have you tried moving closer to the hot spot to see if it changes?

7. stoid thread starter macrumors 601

stoid

I'm practically right on top of the Airport Base Station as it is. It's not 8 feet from my laptop, on the otherside of a paper thin interior wall of my apartment. My roommate's PC laptop gets almost perfect signal and he's on the other side of the room further from the base station.

8. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

I have this problem at work - I'm using Panther.. I'm 2 meters away from the base station... yet i get 1 or zero bars... I didn't always be like this.

Someone else, sitting not too far from me is getting fine reception.

9. swissmann macrumors 6502a

swissmann

My buddy says his range has about doubled. He can now surf in places he didn't have any reception before on campus.

10. 0s and 1s macrumors 6502a

0s and 1s

That's strange...Tiger just upped my airport strength and firefox even seems faster.

11. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

I used CNET and oddly enough, my speeds are 1.5-2x my speeds before. And I'm very sure my university didn't suddenly upgrade their wireless at the same time.

Interesting, I didn't think software could improve upon the hardware ... weird.

12. TigerPRO macrumors 6502

I'm using airport with my iMac, and I usually get about 50kb/sec down. Yet on my wired network (going through the same internet connetion), I usually get more like 250kb/sec. I'm convinced it's either Panther or Airport. Even with wireless B, that's still plently of bandwidth to handlle high speed internet, so I don't know how to excplain it. It'll be interneting to see if Tiger fixes this.

Has anyone else experienced something similar?

13. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

I believe wired connections will almost always be faster than wireless, but I'm not sure about this.

14. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

At least your guys' wireless still works at all. Tiger has seemingly killed the D-Link DI-624 router my roommates and I use in our apartment. Here's what happens:

Any time a Mac with Tiger is connected, seemingly wirelessly OR with Ethernet, it connects, receives a self-assigned IP address, gets a regular IP address, gets kicked, and then the router itself restarts.

15. DND82 macrumors member

I noticed when I'm idle for a while the signal strength drop to 2 bars, however once I start surfing the web it pops back up to the max. :confused:

16. woodsey macrumors regular

Tiger boosted my wireless bars. I used to get 2 max, and as soon as i had installed tiger, the reception was full.

17. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I'm getting much better reception according to Apple (Menu bar and Internet Connect window) but according to Macstumbler, it's exactly the same. I think they probably just re-calibrated it.

18. Reznor7 macrumors newbie

I have yet another very odd Tiger wireless issue. I used to get full speeds across my wireless network (Airport Extreme cards and Belkin 54G router), but since I've updated my iMac and PowerBook to Tiger, the PowerBook works the same as before, but I'm getting a max of 9k/s on the iMac. The things are sitting side by side, so I have no idea why I'm taking such a hit in performance.

19. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Just to let everyone know, a call to tech support revealed that we needed to zap the PRAM on our PowerBooks. Turned off the Airport cards, moved the System Preferences folder from the main library out to the Desktop, then shut down and started up holding the key combo. After Tiger booted, wireless worked fine. It was bizarre.

20. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I REALLY hope the range is doubled because I sit in class next to two dorks with HP & Compaq laptops and I can't get online---while they surf the net and play battlefield.

they love my notebook, but they laugh at my wifi connection.

21. QFace macrumors member

QFace

AirTunes Woes

Wireless is fine for me, but AirTunes performance sucks now... it takes much longer for iTunes to connect to my speakers when I start playing a song... what gives?

22. Redline13 macrumors 6502

Thanks for posting that Cless. I have the same router and I was having a similar problem. I used the same solution to fix it. That saved me a lot of time.

23. sorryiwasdreami macrumors 6502a

sorryiwasdreami

With the installation of Tiger, my wireless range has grown to it's maximum! Pages definitely seem to load quicker than with Panther. Most people are now reporting Tiger does what it did to the OP or what it has done to me; I'm not sure why.

24. Riot_Mac macrumors regular

mine is better... with panther i was always one short of full signal now it is completely full all the time.

25. quidire macrumors 6502

quidire

Here is the deal:

The airport read-out used to show signal strength; now it shows effective maximum throughput or somesuch.

It is a more relevant measure, but one that can differ - sometimes quite dramatically - from signal strength.

You can for example have a very strong signal, but have a lot noise in the connection.

-RS