Tiger knew Camino had crashed before it did

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Makosuke, May 27, 2005.

1. Makosuke macrumors 603

This is actually no big deal from a technical standpoint (Norton had a utility long before OSX that could do this, though in practice it caused more crashes than it caught), but I still found it both interesting an amusing:

I was browsing around, when suddenly the "This application has unexpectedly quit" dialogue popped up". I thought for a moment, and realized that not only was the browser still open, I could still switch windows, scroll, and the back command even seemed to work. When I eventually tried clicking within a window, Camino finally died completely, at which point its own crash reported appeared, but it was funny to see that the OS had realized Camino was dead before it had. Sort of a zombie effect, there.

Wouldn't it be nice if every application was kind enough to crash far enough to let the OS warn you, but not enough that you can't at least take stock of what you're about to loose before it dies?

2. Electric Monk macrumors member

Creepy but cool.

Browser wise both Omniweb and Opera will save your workspace when it crashes. i.e. every tab and window you had open will be right as it was when it crashed.

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Well, since they were using Quartz, the Window Manager was taking care of the window, which is why you could still manipulate it.

I'm just glad they added a re-load option to the dialog.

4. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

I personally have no need to use camino since the Tiger safari update (and .Mac syncing).
    Cool story though!

5. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

Totally off topic but James I love the video of Gates you have. I can't believe I haven't seen that before.

I also have to agree about the browsers though. Ever since Tiger I've only used Safari.

6. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Precisely the reason i have it in my sig!
    I like to watch it every now and again, and pretend it's live!

7. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

That's interesting. I guess it's an artifact of the way Camino works, since it includes its own crash reporting mechanism. I would guess that other applications with their own crash reporters would have the potential to do this too.