Tiger, Leopard.....new imac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jkcosborne@yaho, Feb 21, 2007.

1. jkcosborne@yaho macrumors newbie

I am wanting to replace my old and tired powerbook G4 with a 24inch iMac. Problem is I am not going to be able to afford it until after Leopard has been released.

I am a musician/engineer running Pro Tools and Logic, so when I get my new imac I want to run Tiger 10.4.9. as it will be nice and stable and all my current software will be up to date etc. (I don't want to play the updating game with Leopard when I am running Logic, Pro Tools etc.) But I will only get Leopard restore discs with the imac. Point being Apple does not sell retail Tiger for Intel machines. So how will I get Tiger for Intel, other than search bittorrent sites for Intel imac tiger restore discs? Or would Apple be able to supply Intel Tiger to me on a disc?

2. jkcosborne@yaho thread starter macrumors newbie

Come on folks, it is not a stupid or unreasonable question. I have not found an answer to this on any other forums or sites.

3. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

its not a stupid question, but it is something which doesn't seem likely to have a good solution. I seriously think Leopard will be fine; they have held out this long for a good reason. If Leo really is that unstable, give Apple a call and they may be able to send you out some 10.4 discs.

4. PYR0M310N macrumors 6502a

PYR0M310N

i can see where your coming from, but you pro tools would still run on leo

5. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

Pro Tools will be stable on Leopard right around when 10.6 comes out :rolleyes:

6. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

You have one big problem, that you will not be able to overcome.

If the new iMac you purchase comes with 10.5 pre-installed, you will not be able to install any lower OS version on the machine. Whatever OS version ships with the machine is the lowest version that machine can install, ever. There is no getting around it.

When you try to install an older OS, the machine simply will not let you.

7. jkcosborne@yaho thread starter macrumors newbie

Really? Wow I didn't know that. How do you they implement that? Is it tied into the logic board or something?

8. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

You know, I don't really know how they implement it. I think it may have to do with the firmware, logic board, and/or boot loader. Probably a combination of all 3.

I bought a PowerBook in 2005 that came with 10.4 pre-installed. Just for kicks, I tried to install 10.3, and the installer wouldn't let me. I also tried 10.2 and 10.1, with the same result.

They do it for good reason. Usually, when a new or updated machine is released, the OS installed has certain required features that are not available in earlier versions of the OS. If the OS doesn't have the features, the machine may not function properly. So, in order to ensure optimal performance, Apple keeps people from installing an OS that may cause serious problems with the operation of their machine.