tiger ---> leopard

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tundra/desert, Sep 26, 2006.

1. tundra/desert macrumors newbie

forgive my ignorance

i currently run windows, however i know i will soon be making the switch. i am considering waiting for leopard to buy a mac, but what i would much rather do is buy now, then upgrade to leopard when it is released. when leopard does come out, will there be an upgrade pack - something to move from tiger to leopard? or will tiger need to be removed before leopard is installed?

if tiger does have to be removed (or if there is an upgrade route), will apps/files stay intact or will they all be lost in the process?

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

No, no upgrade unless you purchase a Mac with Tiger and Leopard comes out withing 7 days.

99% probability that it will be $129 (non-edu, US dollars) for Leopard.

99% probability that Tiger will not have to be removed and that there will be an "Upgrade" button in the Leopard installer. If you spend the $129 your Leopard installer will be the full on install DVD. No files (that you need or care about) are harmed in the Upgrade process.

3. mdntcallr macrumors 65816

mdntcallr

apple upgrades are usually very easy.

you buy an upgrade disc. click install and you should be fine.

wouldnt hurt to backup essential files ahead of time. but most of my updates have been without a hitch.

only thing is you will have to buy the upgrade. if you buy an new mac, the upgrade will still cost some money, not sure of how much, but it will be a fee.

4. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Blackheart

When installing Leopard, you will be given 3 choices:

1) Erase your current system and install Leopard
    2) Upgrade your system from Tiger to Leopard, in place
    3) Archive & Install. This archives all of your documents, applications, and preferences and erases everything else. It then performs a fresh installation of Leopard and then puts all of your files back in their correct places.

5. hyperpasta macrumors 6502a

hyperpasta

Basically, a simple answer: you can easily and painlessly upgrade to Leopard once it comes out, but it will cost around $129.

6. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

No no no, that is not what he is asking.

you do not remove tiger, you just run the upgrade from the disk.
    all files and apps will be intact if you follow the directions, unless you did a clean install which wipes (formats) the drive first.
    in the past upgrades have usually cost $129. that is correct.
    there is speculation it could be offered for less for those upgrading from tiger and not panther or jaguar but it is doubtful.
    not sure what the education discount is, i heard the edu price was around $69.

7. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

True what the others have said, but there were some rumors about Leopard being priced at $99, which would be awesome. I would wait for Leopard like you though...;)

8. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I was under the impression that I (eventually) answered what was being asked. :confused: