Tiger likes the heat!!! PB getting hotter than hell

Discussion in 'macOS' started by auroberos, Apr 30, 2005.

1. auroberos macrumors newbie

Now i've had tiger a few days, i've noticed the fans in my 12" powerbook being on more and more. So i decided to use temperature monitor to see what was going on. My processor and graphics card are running at 74 degrees celsius. I am suddenly very glad I never put it near my legs.

Has anyone else experienced this?

2. Gizmotoy macrumors 65816

Gizmotoy

Yes, since the upgrade my 12"s fan has been running nearly non-stop. Mine's not as hot as yours, but it has been noticeable so far. Still a few bugs to be worked out in Tiger, it seems.

3. Winstonp macrumors 6502a

Winstonp

4. auroberos thread starter macrumors newbie

I now

have it propped up on dvd box sets, i knew paying £50 for the new west wing was worthwile somehow. I have also managed to press a shirt quite well with it. The iIron, Mr Jobs, was my idea first!

5. notkevin macrumors member

My PB feels the same, it was running with the fan on for a while after I installed tiger to index everything, but a few hours later it was back to normal.

6. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

My fans have been exactly the same from before

7. mac-er macrumors 65816

8. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

9. auroberos thread starter macrumors newbie

i've found the actual issue now:

Virex, which doesn't even work in tiger, had a background process runnning that was using 97% of my cpu. quit that and removed virex and i now have a processor doing what it should be doing and running at a balmy 50 celsius

10. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

On average my CPU useage is down overall with Tiger. This means less work and less fans.

11. ksz macrumors 68000

I had the same problem. However, simply deleting the Virex icon did not solve the problem on reboot -- the VShieldCheck process came back. If this is happening to you, try this:

1. Open Terminal
    2. cd /usr/local
    3. ls

Is there a "vscanx" directory here? If so, rename it:

4. mv vscanx vscanx-get-rid-of-me

Or you might want to delete the directory, but I suggest renaming it, rebooting, make sure everything is fine, then chuck it.

Edit: If your fans are running, it very likely means a process is hogging up the CPU. Use Activity Monitor, sort the list by %CPU, make sure you select "All Processes" then find the culprit and kill it. The fans will return to normal within a few seconds.

12. auroberos thread starter macrumors newbie

the quickest way to zap virex

is to use it's own terminal command that comes with the disk image. It makes sure that nothing comes back to haunt you

13. YoYoMac macrumors regular

YoYoMac

This happened to me after 10.3.9

I haven't had my PB long, but I used to monitor the temp on my pcs, so it's a hard habit to break. After 10.3.9, my average idle temperature went from 105 F to about 120 F.

Yesterday, I was using iDVD and the thing hit 140F. When I play UT2004 I don't hit that. Something is up.

14. engelhart macrumors member

I havn't checked the temps but on a mere qualitative assessment, it seems that the fans on my 17" 1.5ghz Powerbook are coming on far more often than they used to (and I have never used Virex).

Intriguing.

Simon

15. ksz macrumors 68000

The problem is not exclusive to Virex; that's one of several culprits. Keep an eye on CPU consumption by process.

16. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Everything is cool with my G5 2.0. Even with Folding, my fans have been at the lowest setting for most of the time I have had Tiger loaded.

I agree with a previous poster, you should always keep an eye on your highly active processes when your computer is acting strange, or running hotter then normal.

17. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

If your fans suddenly start going crazy, open up Activity Monitor (Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor) to see if there is something eating up the CPU cycles.

18. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

hahaha

Attached Files:

19. StrikerObi macrumors newbie

I tried to rename and remove the directory like you said, but it is telling me Permission Denied. I'm logged in through the admin account, and I don't have the process running. Can you give me any help?

Edit: I've tried the su account but for some reason my password is not working to access it...

20. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

I find my iMac is much quieter than Panther in everday apps like Safari, Mail, GUI. Now running H.264, that's a different story. ;)

I agree with the above poster that Tiger on average uses less CPU in most tasks. I'd say about a 20% cut.

21. russed macrumors 68000

russed

the fans on my 12" 1ghx pb are going full pelt and have been for the past 7 hours since i installed tiger. oh well, bring on the updates. is it just me or is spotlight not as fast as it is made out to be!

22. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I just used Finder to find anything with Virex in it, then deleted those items and folders (the main culprit was in Library->StartupItems [/Library/StartupItems, not /Users/yourname/Library...]), then rebooted - after first killing the scanner using Activity Monitor.

Note: some deletions required an admin password.

23. ksz macrumors 68000

I tried doing "su" as well using my standard account password (which is an Administrator), but Unix does not like that password. Try "sudo" instead or, better yet, use the Virex delete script I posted in this thread.

24. DaveClarkOne macrumors member

Help?

Following this advice, I see something chewing on my ram and processor called "Window Server" --is this Bill's hot and sexy stuff? And if so, how do I get rid of it (I do have Virtual PC, but it isn't running w/out my permission)

25. BartVB macrumors newbie

Same problem here. The main problem seems to be with the temperature of the GPU. My CPU temperature isn't that high (around 45 degrees Celcius) but the temperature of my GPU rarely goes below 55 degrees which means that the fans are on almost 100% of the time which sucks. This means more noise and the fan bearings will wear out earlier which will lead to even more noise...

Let's hope that 10.4.1 is going to address this.

(BTW have never installed Virex, CPU usage below 10% most of the time).