Tiger + M$Word04 on a 500MHz G3/512MB PB?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by GULCkid, May 12, 2005.

1. GULCkid macrumors member

I have a 500MHz G3 powerbook with 512 RAM that I want to use to type stuff in Word, and save frequently. Nothing else. No iTunes, no web browsing, just typing stuff up, and saving to an external USB drive.

The only thing is that it has to be very, very stable. I guess Tiger (most stable OS?) + Word04 (most stable Word?) would be the best for that right?

The question is, can a 500MHz G3/512 RAM powerbook run Word04 + tiger (minimal features enabled) smoothly?

2. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

Why not?

Hardware Requirements

PowerPC G5, G4 or G3 processor
    Built-in FireWire
    DVD drive is required for installation
    At least 256MB of physical RAM

3. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

I just put Tiger on my 700mhz iBook and yikes the machine is so much slower now. pretty looking but takes a few second longer to do everything...grrr
    I think that machine is getting its Panther back.
    BTW M$ Office 2004 runs just fine in Panther, and Tiger

4. Manzana macrumors 6502a

Manzana

tiger on g3 ibook 600

did this last nite. i did a lot of searches before i upgraded from panther, and my conclusion was that people were 50/50 happy with upgrade.

i used silverkeeper to back up to my ipod via firewire then i did a clean install (not an upgrade or archive/install). the hd on the ibook is only 15 gigs, so chose not to install all the extra fonts/languages (english only) and thought about not installing the printer drivers but decided to since it's portable and doesn't have airport to get a driver if i need it.

my ibook has cd/dvd so install was easy. after install surprisingly did not have much spotlight indexing! guess i had nothing! so then i copied over apps one at a time from ipod and opened up each one.

then i did the ms office 04 install, just installed word/excel/ppt and tried to keep it as small as possible, ithink the whole install was less than 350 mbs.

okay, now the ibook runs great, very happy. only run 1 widget (show off) but when i run 3-4 it's ok. i have 3-4 apps (itunes, safari with mult tabs, dashboard) open at a time all doing their thing and i would say i am more satisfied than my panther install. :D

btw, silverkeeper took forever to back up the 8 gigs of data.

5. Manzana macrumors 6502a

Manzana

on ms office 04

you know, i haven't yet run the app, only once to open and upgrade it but i know it will run slow. on my 1.33 g4 pb word runs bad though so i don't expect much from it.

since this is my mom's ibook she gets paranoid if she doesn't have the ms suite though.

maybe you should try the iwork suite that comes with tiger.

6. GULCkid thread starter macrumors member

Thanks everyone. Could you guys please tell us your laptop's specs, so I can compare to mine (500MHz, 512RAM(

I'm going to be using my laptop for finals in law school (MUST use MSWord), and I've heard a lot of horror stories about people's laptops crapping out on them during the exams.. so I'm gonna need a cheap backup laptop.

If this old 500MHz G3 PB can run OSX/Word04 smoothly, then I can save a lot of money.

7. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

I am running 10.4 and MsOffice04 on a PB G3 500 MHz Pismo, 384MB RAM, so there.
    The person who got a slowdown- try backing up and doing a clean install - Tiger for me zips along quicker than Panther did.

8. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

I run Tiger on a 400 MHz G4, dunno if this applies, but it runs faster then Tiger.

BTW, James, love the icon. :)

9. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Here's proof:

Attached Files: