Tiger Mauls Magician Roy Horn in Las Vegas Show

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by eyelikeart, Oct 4, 2003.

1. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

yeah saw that to, turns out the cats debut. i think he freaked on stage. lets hope they can turn around his condition but it did say he had him by the neck. you know how long those fangs are and the power in those jaws.

3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Holy crap.

One of those guys is probably the last performer I'd woulda guessed to get mauled by a tiger.

Lethal

4. evolu macrumors regular

um, that's what happens when you play with tigers... they want to KILL!

5. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I agree that this being his first onstage performance may have spooked him. The Tiger just went into self protection mode.

My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends. I hope that he will make a full recovery. Also have concerns for the tiger!

6. alset macrumors 65816

alset

Re: Tiger Mauls Magician Roy Horn in Las Vegas Show

I'm sorry to hear that he is injured, but I say it's about damn time one of those poor animals attacked. I think it's terrible that they are taken from their natural habitat and made to perform tricks for drunken idiots.

Dan

7. iGav macrumors G3

It's unfortunate, I just hope they don't shoot the tiger...

8. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

I doubt if Siegfried or Roy would let that happen.

I'm guessing the tiger will get sent off to a zoo or habitat...

9. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Well, one up for the tiger then, it's a shame he got hurt, but if you play with fire etc.

It like that fool on ITV tonight whose gonna play Russian Roulette live:eek: There'll be a big fuss if he blows his stupid head off.:rolleyes:

I hope they don't destroy the beast, it was just doing what it's supposed to do.

10. shecky Guest

shecky

11. CMillerERAU macrumors regular

I guess the tiger wasn't happy with his contract.

12. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

13. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Re: *sigh* When oh when will people learn?

I can't imagine what the person was thinking keeping a caiman and a Bengal Tiger in a NY apartment. That was just a disaster waiting to happen. I imagine that he is going to be facing some criminal charges. Certainly hope that he will be OK. I also hope that the two animals will find proper homes. It is such a said story all around!

14. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

Re: Re: Tiger Mauls Magician Roy Horn in Las Vegas Show

I think those tigers they used are born in captivity and raised to be show tigers. I think they have a pretty good life.

15. voicegy macrumors 65816

voicegy

Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    That's just part of the act to say that it's a particular tigers' first time on stage. They've had that tiger for 6 years.

As the curator for the New York Zoo said tonight on television when asked what might happen to the tiger, he basically replied, "Well, nothing should happen to the tiger. It was being a tiger."

Nonetheless, I wish the man Godspeed in his recovery, even though the prospects look grim.

16. iGav macrumors G3

Derren Brown... I'm going to be watching that... some of the stuff he does is quite amazing as well.... especially with those boxers... where he spoke to them and they were unable to lift this mere slip of a girl... :eek: when before they were picking her up like a doll... that'd be quite a handy trick to be able to do.... especially in a pub.... "you won't be able to pick up that pint of beer".... heh-heh!!

Still not sure about the Russian Roulette thing.... if it's genuine, then that really is a test of ones skill and nerve isn't it.... :eek: :p :p

I've never seen someone blow their head off before though, so I'll be watching!

As for the tiger.... even if it was bought up by the performers etc etc, you can't supress 1000's of years of natural instinct... it's kind of like that nutter from Oz, who wrestles with the Croc's, and picks up snakes and spins them around and kissesthem and stuff.... :rolleyes: :p one day... one day...

17. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Sadly, if he does put a live one through what little brain he has, you won't see it, Channel 4 (5?) have put a 5 second delay on the transmission, so no grey matter on the camera lense for you I'm afraid...;)

Brown has also got an escape clause, he's said that if he feels he can't make the call, he's not going to do it. Give the man a shotgun, I say.:D

18. iGav macrumors G3

bugger.... if it was on channel 5 they'd have shown it, cos they have zero standards... infact if it was on channel 5 I reckon they'd have a bullet cam as well... and slow-mo replies from multiple angles... :eek: :p :p cos' they're good like that!! heh-heh!!

19. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Yeah actually thats a gimmic... they said the same exact thing when I say their show.

Most of them weren't taken from the wild but grew up there.

They really care for these animals, the reason they got them from the wild in they were being killed by poachers and deforestation .

20. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Re: Re: Tiger Mauls Magician Roy Horn in Las Vegas Show

you may wish to do research on people before you call them "drunken idiots". These two have worked with animals, especially felines, their whole lives and take great pains to ensure the animals can lead as full lives as possible. From their site:
    They have saved two species from the brink of extinction and are credited for their continuation today. The White Lions are more difficult to breed than the infamous panda, and they are at critical levels.
    They limit the animals' public exposure to the minimum necessary to draw attention and funds to their charities. Without the money generated from these shows, there would be no hope for the animals as a species.

Shame on you for condemning these two in their darkest hour. I think it shows incredible ignorance. I hope that Roy recovers and they are able to continue their wonderful work in this area, although they will probably never show again they have enough money to keep things alive.

pnw

21. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

Re: Re: Re: Tiger Mauls Magician Roy Horn in Las Vegas Show

As far as I know, White Lions are not a separate species any more than albino humans are a separate species. It's just a recessive genetic trait that now is being bred for in captivity. I'm not sure about the tigers, though. Are they Siberian Tigers, or just a variant of the Indian or African tiger? Either way, the focus of any preservation program should be preservation of habitat, which is the main reason species are becoming extinct. Breeding in captivity should only be with the goal of reintroducing the species to the wild, as has been done with Pandas in China.

22. voicegy macrumors 65816

voicegy

Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    Re: Re: Re: Tiger Mauls Magician Roy Horn in Las Vegas Show

In defense of alset, I don't believe he was referring to Ziegfried or Roy...rather, the audience as a whole.

Otherwise, it's a sad day for all involved in the show - which probably is now over; even if Roy (hopefully) recovers, he may be nursing his wound for a long time to come, and the pact they both made to each other years ago (not to perform if one of them is unable to) is now, tragically, in effect.

23. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Roy Horn moved his hands and feet today. Very good progress, they say.

24. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

He's lucky he's still got hands and feet to move:rolleyes:

25. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Most people would rather be bitten on a hand or foot than in the neck. Roy's major risk seems to have been from the initial blood loss, not from nerve damage. It's amazing he went all those years without an incident like this before. I heard on the news that previous injuries during their act had been from stage accidents, not from the tigers.

I also learned after the fact why some early news reports said the tiger was appearing on stage for the first time, while others said it had been in the show for 7 years. The truth was that the tiger was 7 years old, had been in the show for "several" years, and that Roy always tells the audience that the tiger is appearing for the first time, i.e., it's "artist license".