Tiger = No Classic? Help!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by aricher, May 14, 2005.

1. aricher macrumors 68020

Feb 20, 2004
    I did a clean install of Tiger on my PB 17" 1.33 last night. I realize now after reading some Apple help pages that by doing the clean install I have disabled the "Classic" OS functions as there is no OS 9 System Folder. Apple's help site recommends deleting Tiger, reinstalling Panther with OS 9 Classic and then upgrading to Tiger over Panther.

Is there an easier way to install Classic into Tiger? I wanted to do a full reformat clean install and not have a potentially weaker system by installing over Panther. Does anyone know how I can integrate Classic back into Tiger? Would it be safe to just copy the OS 9 System Folder off another OS 10.3 Mac onto my Tiger PB? Thanks for any advice in advance.
  2. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Mar 5, 2005
    I did a search (yes there is a search function on these forums!) and turned up this and this.
    If you're nice, PM Blackheart and his 75MB zipped version can be sent to you too.
    Please do a search first!
  3. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

Jun 25, 2001
    Moneyapolis, Minnesota
    How many years has it been since OS9 became outdated?

I seriously want to know why it is so imperative that people use Classic to this day.
  4. tricky macrumors newbie

Jun 19, 2003
    Lancaster, PA
    Because some companies are too cheap to update apps.
  5. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

Feb 4, 2003
    New HAMpshire
    I don't use it much right now, but soon my kids will be old enough to use dozens of OS9 educational and ed game CD's that I currently own. If there is no support however, I will just get one of my old iMacs to boot up os9 and have it as the kids computer- although I would prefer to have OSX for them to learn on and use with the CD's

Other than that, I don't ever use classic and never really want to. I say if someone has not updated something then they are so far behind that there must be a better replacement out there so go get it. (course easier said than done- cause I don't want to rebuy all these ed games I have for the kids...kind of like why I keep the vcr around- too many videos to have to replace for now.
  6. mcarnes macrumors 68000

Mar 14, 2004
    USA! USA!
    Because the livelihood of some depend on it. Specialty software companies have been SLOW to update their programs to OS X. As an example, a dentist friend of mine is still forced to launch classic to run his practice management software, even though he is using five G5 iMacs networked in his office. It's a real problem as many who use macs in their office have been stuck in th OS 9 world.

Only last month did a decent practice management software that is OS X native get released for dentists and chiropractors. It costs $4K with a yearly fee of $1K, but for an OS X native program this is a bargain.

Check it out. It's a big deal among dentists and chiropractors who use macs:

7. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mar 10, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    I just reinstalled Classic support from the System Restore CDs that came with my iBook (I got both a set of OS X CDs and a set of System Restore CDs). You get an option after a few steps of the installation process which asks what you want to install, and I unchecked the other three options and just installed Classic Support. Everything works just fine, including Classic... :)
  8. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Feb 27, 2005
    Yep, I see you ran into this same issue as I did, although I ran into it back within the first week of Tiger being out.

I was lucky enough to have a very kind user here send me a copy of their Classic System Folder, and all has worked just fine.

On a side note, you might have lost AppleWorks, unless you backed it up when you made the move.
  9. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Oct 15, 2003
    The soggy side of the Pacific NW
    After upgrading to Tiger I reinstalled classic (a few days later) - I've got a couple obsolete old games that seem to need it. :)

In any case, Classic does work with Tiger.
  10. aricher thread starter macrumors 68020

Feb 20, 2004
    James Philp - yes, I know I should have done a search for this first but I'm kind of tied up at the moment trying to meet a deadline. Sorry about that. People who don't search the old threads bug me too. I'll PM Blackheart and see if the zipped version can be shared. My System Restore CDs were stolen long ago.

mnkeybsness - I need OS9 to run some MarkzTools on a very old Quark file that is corrupted - They don't make the tools I need for OSX. Yes, some of us out there in the design business still have needs for arcane OS9 software.

tricky - It's not that my company is cheap to upgrade, however I have worked for those kind of folks. I really need to run some OS9 only recovery tools.

mcarnes - you hit the nail on the head - may deveopers are Sllloooooowww when it comes to updating to OSX

Thanks to all who gave me some input. i'll see if Blackheart can send me the zipped OS9 install or if I can borrow a System Restore disk from someone else. Many thanks.