Tiger: Not at all exciting.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by johnnowak, Apr 10, 2005.

1. johnnowak macrumors 6502

You know, I was thinking... why are we so excited about Tiger anyway? I thought I'd go down the list of new features highlighted here: http://www.apple.com/macosx/tiger/

• Spotlight. Now at first, I was quite excited about this. The reason is that I love Quicksilver (http://quicksilver.blacktree.com/). However, I quickly began to think: If I already have Quicksilver, why do I need this? I cannot think of an occasion where I would want to use it. When was the last time you ever thought, "Darn, I wish I could find all the documents on my hard drive with the word 'Paris' in them?" On rare occasion, context searching can be useful, but even OS 9 had this. The Spotlight integration in system preferences is needless. How often do you really ponder which pane a setting is in? I know I've never had any trouble locating anything. As for the metadata stuff, it may be useful on a very rare occasion, but even then it will only work with certain types of files, namely Photoshop documents and MS Office documents (besides the obvious Apple-related documents). For all other programs, it is useless. And yes, it can read metadata from mp3s and such, but iTunes is already better for this sort of thing. All in all, Spotlight is one of Tiger's best new features, and it is fairly boring and only marginally useful. Be honest with yourself -- Will this really substantially improve your computing experience?
    • Dashboard. This is nothing more than a gimmick. How often to you really need to have a special screen come up with fancy faux-analog clocks? How often do you need to plan your flights instantly through an oversimplified interface? How often do you need sticky notes that are just too important to make with the Stickies application? As someone who drooled over Konfabulator, I can say that after you use it, you realize it is largely a waste of your time. It is a very rare occasion that it is not easier to just open a bookmark via Quicksilver to do whatever I want in a normal browser window. And even if you just love this feature, so what -- It is already available via Konfabulator! I can honestly say that I feel I will enjoy this for a few days, and then end up disabling it.
    • Safari RSS. There are already a number of great RSS readers/tickers out there. The fact that this is the only major thing Apple added to Safari is just sad. If not for Firefox's un-maclike interface, it would easily be a better browser. Hell, you can already get RSS integration in Firefox if you want to, which is a fast, popular, proper Gecko-based browser.
    • Mail. As many people here know, Apple Mail is a sad application. It is slow. It spasms when you lose your internet connection. And now in Tiger, it is hideous. Alright, perhaps not hideous, but it certainly doesn't look like the rest of OS X. Yes, it now has Spotlight features, but I can't think of anything that I can't currently accomplish with a normal mail filter. Other mail programs already have these so-called "smart" folders as well.
    • iChat. The video conferencing is nice. However, it only works (and works well) if everyone is using iChat. Often, this is not the case. As for the IM side of things, it is just pathetic. No tabs (which if you are talking to 5+ people at once, you really do need as otherwise you have windows all over). Barely any options. No built-in log browser. Etc etc. Adium is a much better client all around, and other IM clients allow you to use more than the AOL network. Many people here who do serious IMing are already using something besides iChat.
    • Automator. This is nice stuff, but it has a serious limitation: It is only good if it already has actions built in for what you want to do. Now I will admit that this is one of the most impressive things about OS X. It is bringing some pipe-like functionality into the GUI realm. However, if you really need to get down and dirty, a shell script is going to be more flexible and less reliant on built-in actions. For many of the more common tasks (like hauling down all the images on a webpage and renaming them), there are already freeware apps available. Once again, this is nice, and it is probably the best part of Tiger. However, most likely you will not use it more than once every month or so. To be honest, I can't really think of an instance where I'd want to use it. Perhaps this is because I am not a huge iLife person. Besides, this is only going to work with apps that have built-in actions and such for Automator. Most apps will not, which means that it is worthless if you want to do something involving one of those apps. It is nice in an idealistic sort of way, but I doubt it will prove to be too useful.
    • VoiceOver. If you need this, you need this. If you don't, you don't.
    • Parental controls. Same thing.
    • .Mac Sync. I'm sure as hell not paying Apple $100 a year when I can get 4GB of space and 100GB monthly bandwidth for $69 a year from hasweb.com, along with a *ton* of extra features and one-click install forums, mailing lists, etc etc. Hence, this is useless to me.
    • Quicktime. The new technology is nice. Too bad Apple refuses to support Linux.

Now, there are also a lot of things Apple fails to mention. Such as how the finder is a clunky piece of junk. (If you don't think it is, go back and use OS 9. It was much cleaner and more elegant, although it lacked a column view). As many would agree, the Finder is crap. The FTP integration is crap. Window settings recall when they feel like it. Folders from other users and websites override your default settings without a care (thanks to .DS_Store crap). Giant metal toolbars take up valuable screen space. Turn them off, and certain folders will just ignore your settings anyway. Hell, browse the package contents of a bundle, and it will ignore them completely. Mail is still sad. iChat is still sad for IMing. Safari is only useful because of its integration. You still need Tinkertool to do basic things like seeing invisible files. Etc etc etc. Personally, I am not impressed. Personally, I'm hoping Gnome gets more polished. It already has a better file browser than OS X. All it needs now is more UI consistency amongst its apps and better panels. Not to mention -- It doesn't cost $129 every year!

2. johnnowak thread starter macrumors 6502

And honestly, I'm not trolling. What I am looking forward to the most is Dashboard... and that's sad if you think about it.

3. john1123 macrumors regular

john1123

i guess it's different for everyone. some people (and when looking at the daily 'tiger comes tomorrow - here is a clue!!!!' threads many people) are actually looking forward to 10.4.

while i personally find most if not all new features in tiger interesting to say the least, i totally agree with you on the finder. If you really want things to change you might want to give apple your feedback instead of telling us things we already know.

oh and here is the finder suggestions thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=119322[?URL]

4. iindigo macrumors 6502a

iindigo

johnnowak, I must say, you're wrong there buddy. I'm running Tiger at the moment, and there are TONS of little minor features all over the place that make a world of difference, it's really nice. Also, a LOT has been improved under the hood, way more than Apple might have you to believe. I'd estimate at least 70%-80% increase in speed from Panther overall, and about a 120% increase in speed on Safari's part - like one Tiger review article said, browsing live pages in Safari is now so fast it feels like you're browsing cache.

The Finder is no longer the huge, slow, clunky beast it used to be in Panther, as it has been made more compact, sped up a lot, and just improved a lot in general. A nice little extra is that now the Finder can open .bz files.

iChat is improved in many ways people have been hoping, with features such as built-in iTunes song for status, and support of MSN, ICQ, Yahoo, and more through Jabber.

Quicktime Player has been rewritten from scratch and is now a Cocoa app, and is now a much lighter-feeling and faster that the Carbon Quicktime Player in Panther.

iCal has numerous improvements, in fact I can't list them all here.

Mail is much faster and fluent, it finally feels complete.

Spotlight is extremely fast, it's really beyond what most people can imagine. I've used QuickSilver extensively in Panther, and I must say Quicksilver is no Spotlight replacement.

I could go on and on... A lot has changed. Feel free to IM me, I'd like talk some more about what's new.

5. thequicksilver macrumors 6502a

thequicksilver

I made a similar post a couple of weeks back based on a short experience with a beta version of it. Suffice to say, our opinions don't differ very much - I don't see what's so exciting about it either, and can't help but feel that there's a certain level of fanboyism coming into play - I don't see any new features in Tiger which will make the average Windows user (ie the target audience for a Mac mini) suddenly think 'my God, I have to get this'.

I'll add a disclaimer in here though that some of the stuff we likely won't see the potential of for a good while - like when Apple released the SDK for Safari back in 2003. We've seen a good slew of apps making great use of this, and I'm sure it will be the same with Spotlight, Automator, and Core Image/Video. This will be the key to Tiger's wider appeal, I fancy.

And another Hasweb user - I'm impressed. :)

6. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Tho most sad thing about you is that you fail to see what other features Tiger will include.

Much cleaner codebase. That means that many more developers will be able to optimize their programs for Tiger

Better performance into opengl demanding applications (not only games but proffessional programs also).

And many more enhancements which would take me too long to analyze here.
    Your mistake is that you see only those things that are noticeable from the first sight in Tiger. But the things you mention are not the essence of this upgrade. The essence lies into the OS that has been rewritten and optimized to work 70% faster into th finder even onb low end machines, end into the implementation of CoreImage and CoreVideo, which as CoreAudio did, will be a valuable asset for companies that wish to write video and image editing for Mac.

Look, the same thing happened with the upgrade from 10.2 to 10.3. Everyone expected just some neew features, and what they got was basically a new system, wich ran at least 50% with better performance and offered some substantial features which they were not mentioned into Apple's main site.

And finder doesn't suck. It just needs improvements, but it doesn't suck, it has tons of important features that make your life easier, (expose for instance), that you cannot find anywhere else.

Maybe you should wait for Tiger to come out and then you could speak for Tiger having a more objective opinion.

7. iindigo macrumors 6502a

iindigo

I agree. With all the new frameworks Tiger is just bursting with potential for awesomely cool applications.

8. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    If you don't think Tiger is going to be useful to you, then don't buy it.

I use Quicksilver at the moment and love it. It's convinced me that I want Spotlight more - for apps/bookmarks I never go near the Finder; but I don't think Quicksilver is too good at the document/image stuff unless you know exactly what you called it. Being able to access my documents/images as quickly as I currently access apps will be wonderful. It's not so much the 'search because I can't remember where I put them' as the 'search rather than trawl through 4 layers of folders to get to it'

Dashboard - depends on the widgets you use how useful it will be. Again, I thought it would be more useful before having Quicksilver to launch those barely used apps - Calculator/Stickies. But I like the idea of having them all one keystroke away - I like having my weather there rather than launching a bookmark to my weather or having it in the menu bar. I'd like having the translator there rather than buried in Sherlock or bookmarking Altavista. I may not use Dashboard every day but I'll use it several times a week.

Mail - I've never had a problem with; perhaps I'm just lucky. I have 5,000 messages in mine at the moment over 4 accounts and it's never thrown a wobbly with or without web access. The only time I'd describe it as 'slow' is when someone's sent me something with a few GB of pictures attached when I have to wait a few seconds for them to display. Its current search capabilities are faster than anything else I've used.

Automator - It's probably more useful for those working who regularly do the same tasks. While yes, you could write a script to do things, there are a lot of us who would take longer to write a script/ are too daunted to write one than we'd save in doing it. Put that functionality in a GUI and chances are we'll have a go.

I agree wholeheartedly with the .Mac sync, Parental Controls and Voiceover tho I can see they'll be useful for some.

Add to the points above that most testers report better/faster overall performance and the interesting things that developers will be able to do to with Core Video etc, and I will be buying a copy.

9. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Tiger will not suck cos...

What about core video, core image and core audio - what great apps are going to be made using these tools!
    I dunno, sometimes i wanna make a quick calc - usually currency conversion, and opening an application just to do this annoys me. - Dashboard will be good & useful methinks.
    Personally, I think every major update of os X has been good - it's like getting a new computer for $100!
    Just hoping it'll run on my G3 500 PB!
    Have faith - it'll rock!
    But till then, you know, you're right. I'm not gonna lose sleep over it! I am already operating on a great OS! :)

10. itchster macrumors member

So in Tiger we will be able to use iChat to talk to MSN buddies? if so i can get rid of MSN messenger for mac, i prefer iChat, but most of my buddies are on MSN

11. iindigo macrumors 6502a

iindigo

Yep. You have to set up a Jabber account, but it's nothing major. Here's some instructions on how to set it up that I posted earlier: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=118007&highlight=jabber+msn+icq

12. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Of course it will run. And I believe it will run faster than Panther. Just think about it. Jaquar runs ok in your specs. Panther was 50% faster from jaguar in the same machines. So, now that everyone experiences much better performance with Tiger, suddenly your system will not be able to run it?

Perhaps you confuse Apple with Microsoft. Apple always tries to make their software run on low-end machines.

13. GodBless macrumors 65816

GodBless

• Spotlight offers a lot more than Quicksilver. It searches faster, it uses more metadata, it finds more files, it uses better indexes, it has a better layout and most importantly it is built into the OS and you don't even need to open an extra Application to use it. And you say this compares to Quicksilver? The OS 9 Finder better than OS X Finder you say? Boy do you need to do some extensive research!! Good jokes.

I suppose you are right. It must just be an illusion that it is faster to open my Calculator with one press of a function key in under a second instead of taking three to four times longer either looking for the application in the dock or looking for it in the Finder and the waiting for it to load. Right? Wrong! The Calculator opens as a background application as my system logs in. Seriously Dashboard is not the same as Konfabulator. I guess you didn't know that Dashboard widgets were made from CSS, Java and html so they can be integrated right into web usage more easily than Konfabulator. Also the programming makes it faster to develop them and people who already know web kit don't need to learn anything new to make them. I guess you didn't know that Dashboard widgets are a fraction of the file size of Konfabulator widgets so they can run on slower systems multiple times faster than with Konfabulator. You can also have five times more of them open at one time. Because of the type of programming used in widgets they can be developed faster and they can do lots more than Konfabulator ever could. Also what about core image? Not only do you get productivity out of widgets but also visual eye candy. What more could you ask for? I don't know about you but I want to have multiple apps open at the same time and visible at the same time. Dashboard makes all of this possible.

Wrong that RSS is all that you get with Safari 2.0 in Tiger! There are countless improvements over Safari 1.0 in Safari 2.0 including faster browsing, better implementation of History and and Bookmarking, improvements to popup blocking, it reads PDFs and Post Script files, it has better security so it can be used privately if you don't want others to go through your history, and much more that Apple doesn't even mention on their website more. Once again it is built into the OS which will beat out Firefox even if it didn't have extra features such as Private Browsing and PDF reading.

Mail is not sad anymore with Tiger. (Mail 1.0 wasn't too bad considering it was the 1st version.) It already was good in Panther but now it is better. It is more integrated with the OS better. (I do agree however that the interface isn't inline with the OS and that this part of Mail is unfortunate but don't miss out on the good things from being a cynic.) You can now view a photo slideshow with the click of the mouse. You can put photos into iPhoto with a click of the mouse. Spotlight searching is now available in Mail 2.0. Speed enhancements are everywhere. Many bugs are fixed. Trust me not only do the smart folders work faster than 3rd party applications but also but they are also more comprehensive.

iChat does not only accept AOL accounts now. It now has tabbed browsing, Jabber support, extended options, H.264 high definition video and audio support, core image video effects and much much more that Apple doesn't mention on their website.

I think they should have used something different that AppleScripts too due to limitations but at least it is better than nothing. At least I will be able to do more programming faster and with a visual interface without being required to learn programming. Did you know that you can download Automator Workflows that do a specific task much like you download a program? This will be awesome and a big time saver. Also people can develop their own AppleScripts to run in their applications to be used in an Automator Workflow.

I agree.

I agree again.

This is a great new technology. H.264 standard, realtime video resizing, audio and video recording capabilities, full screen controls, extensive surround sound, many added controls, automatic internet streaming speed detection and much more.

Finder is not junk. OS 9 was junk. In fact today's Finder in my opinion is better than the whole OS 9. I switched to being a mac user when OS X 10.2 came out because I realized that it was (and still is) the best OS available. Sure the file system could be better I agree I don't like those extra .DS_Store files either. The toolbars are better now. Check this comparison out on post #20:http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=118668&page=1 . Hey at least TinkerTool is one of the only system add on tools that I need. (Unlike Linux and Windows which need countless system tools to do anything.) If you think Gnome beats Tiger's Finder think again. I used Linux for a while on my Mac to see what it did, and it did nothing. Why do I want a Mac? Because I want to be productive. I don't want to do two times the work to do anything like in Windows or three times the work in Linux. Realize that Tiger is great :) . Don't deny the fact with ignorance and cynical assumptions just because OS 9 was bad. Once bad doesn't mean always bad. If Windows Longhorn is better for productivity than OS X 10.4 ( I doubt it will be though :rolleyes: ) than I will switch back to it. If Linux is better I will switch to that. I don't have a bias like you I have a preference for the best. $129 why not? I would pay $300 dollars for it if Apple charged that much because it is well worth it.

14. bushgreen macrumors newbie

there are features in tiger that are missing in from os 9. such as the customizable apple menu, tabs, application switcher and other good features no more in os x.

15. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

There are times at work when I would kill for that kind of search. When I need to find an old Requirements Document and just don't know where it was. But at work we have PCs. At home I can't think of much use for it.

The Widget I would like most is a simple picture frame so I can have pictures of my loved ones and pop them up at any time. But there is no such widget...

It's not the only feature. Tiger Safari is a lot faster than Panther Safari. It is one of the best reasons to buy Tiger.

I agree. Mail is way too overcomplicated already - just look at the menus - so much crap. And now it is ugly too. But the new Tiger features for emails with photo attachments are very innovative and genuinely useful.

I have never used this, because it is not compatible with MSN.

I am traditionally very skeptical of graphical scripting. But if anyone can do it right it's Apple I suppose. Will have to have a play with this when it comes out, just to look for innovations. I will never actually use it of course, but I will scan it for good ideas I can utilize.

This is a good reason to buy Tiger for me. My first computer was a Commodore 64, and seeing videos playing on computers *still* impresses me for some reason :)

Yes, the Finder is crap. Steve said at the Panther release that they thought they had *finally* got the Finder right, but I don't see how. Perhaps if I get in to the habit of using Spotlight to launch apps I will be able to avoid it more in Tiger.

16. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Hmm, you think I stupid?

Just to say, it's based to enhance 64 bit systems, and have applications also to do this. My PB is already pretty slow with only a few apps open, and have filled with ram only to 384MB - considering 10.3 need 212 minimum, I wondering about the spec for 10.4! Also, a 10Gb hard drive is hardly roomy for 10.3 and i only hope 10.4 is no bigger.

For an example, iTunes takes up 20-30% of my CPU currently! And safari is CURRENTLY hogging 54% just writing this!
    The transitions and effects from quartz do not work on this machine so i only wonder how it'll figure out core video etc.!?
    I think you seem to have a somewhat optimistic view! Wow safari going up to 60% now...

17. GodBless macrumors 65816

GodBless

Yes speed will be enhanced by far with Tiger. On average I've heard that just about everything is twice as fast with G4 systems which ARE NOT 64bit processors. Considering this and that Apple supports older machines, don't doubt that Tiger will be twice as fast on your system. It is twice as fast for G4 systems so why not even faster on yours. I heard that the slower the machine the more you would notice the speed improvements. Would you want to make your system faster for $129 or do you want to spend more and get a new computer? Don't complain because Tiger will be a good deal. This type of complaint is unreasonable! Yes, saying you know something although you are ignorant about it a form of stupidity in my book. And as you pointed out before I'm not the only one who thinks so.

18. logicat2001 macrumors regular

And here's one example of why Dashboard will be incredibly useful and cool. Do you know how to make an HTML page with an image on it?

Bingo: you can make a Dashboard widget picture frame so you can have pictures of your loved ones and pop them up at any time.

Do you want this to change the images? If you can code in javascript (or simply learn the basics - this isn't very difficult), you've now got yourself a Dashboard widget picture frame that changes the images from a repository of images on your local drive.

Best,
    Logicat

19. GodBless macrumors 65816

GodBless

Wake up and realize that Dashboard picture viewer widgets already exist. Here is an example: http://www.dashboarddev.com/showcase/details.php?wid=68

20. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

How can you call his complaint unreasonable if you're basing all of your criticisms on second hand or third hand info? How do you know without a doubt that Tiger is as optimized for G3s as it is for G4s until it's finally released and benchmarks are done with it? What if he has a G3 Powerbook and Tiger isn't very optimized for those chips?

That's putting a little too much blind faith into Apple.

21. GodBless macrumors 65816

GodBless

As I mentioned he is basing his claim off of ignorance. I am basing my claim off of a research study that can be read here: http://www.macnet2.com/more.php?id=571_0_1_0_M

Yeah that's the kind of speed improvement I'm talking about. Twice as fast.

22. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

XCode 2.0... come on, guys... I can't be the only one excited about it.

Dashboard, Spotlight, 3-way iChat... I could care less about these things. XCode 2.0 is worth the $129 for me.

That and the faster OpenGL.

23. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Hmm

Firstly, I didn't complain about anything! I simply said "I hoped it would run"! You may want to read my original post, saying "it wil rock"?! You seem distinctly uninformed about the history of my discussion!
    And what precisely when you say
    are you referring to? What did I say I know? The majority of the post was numbers pulled directly from my machine!? So what do I know that I am ignorant about? - Perhaps you can enlighten me! My referance of "stupid" was to that someone said I would "of course" be able to run Tiger, although the only spec I gave was I had a G3 500!- I could still be running OS 9 with 64MB RAM and a 5GB HD!
    Look at the history of the thing!! Have RAM requirements not increased?! Did Macs not come with 128MB as standard until the last year or two? Has the OS not continued to grow in size? Do the graphics cards installed in older machines do quartz extreme even - no! Sure the OS will run, but will I be able to DO anything with it!
    And I love how your arguament is based around
    ! Firstly - which G4 systems? Dual G4, what? Secondly, there is a significant different in G3 and G4 based systems. Thirdly, "heard" - wow, rock-solid! Until it's released no-one really knows the system spec. and all I said was "I hope it will run on my G3 500 PB"!

I made no complaint - I wont be particularly annoyed if it doesn't run, I've had this machine for 4 years now - much longer than any PC I ever had lasted. 10.3 runs OK, best OS I've ever used, I also own a iMac G4, and so will buy 10.4 anyway. I don't really see why I am "stupid" for expecting things to carry on as they have done in the computing world for over 2 decades!

24. GodBless macrumors 65816

GodBless

I am sorry if you thought I implied that. All I am saying is that I am extremely confident that it will run on your system. I know people who are running Panther on older systems using software from here: http://eshop.macsales.com/OSXCenter/XPostFacto/ . My main goal wasn't trying to tell you that it is unreasonable to think that Tiger won't run on your system but instead I wanted to boost your confidence in Tiger and your knowledge of what Tiger will offer. All I am trying to say is to be optimistic about Tiger.

25. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

Dude... XCode is the prime example of everything that is wrong with programming today. Whenever I need a good cry about the state of my profession (I have been a developer for 7 years) I look at XCode.

Poor old Apple. They are totally obsessed with OO, an utterly failed idea. They have frameworks up the wazoo. Oh the humanity!