Tiger on a G3 iBook

Discussion in 'macOS' started by markoibook, Apr 29, 2005.

1. markoibook macrumors regular

Ok guys, here's the deal...
    I have a G3 iBook 700Mhz, 384MB, 20GB with 16MB VRAM.

I really want Tiger, but am a bit worried about buying it, installing it, and then finding it runs real bad.

So can anyone put my mind at rest? Anyone here have experience of Tiger running on a similar spec machine? In particular, how does it cope with spotlight and dashboard - and do the traditional features, like Expose still work really well? And how does Safari compare speed wise?

If it is as fast or faster than Panther, then I will be ordering Tiger later today.

Cheers, Marko :)

2. markoibook thread starter macrumors regular

Oh and any reports on battery life - I currently get about 3 to 4 hours on a 2.5 year old iBook on Panther...

3. DWKlink macrumors regular

I found a really good deal on a 512mb stick for my ibook G3 600mhz from newegg.com. Haven't received it in the mail (or tiger for that matter) but i can give you some feedback when i do.

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I'll be installing Tiger on a Pismo (G3@400 MHz with 512 MB RAM)... and I expect that to work flawlessly... ;)

That is, if I ever get Tiger at all...

5. markoibook thread starter macrumors regular

6. zakatov macrumors 6502a

zakatov

is there any place to get a 512MB stick for less than $100?

7. dpclark macrumors member

I'm running tiger on a 500mhz ibook G3 right now and performance wise it is at least the same as panther - if not faster. Sure I upgraded the memory to its max at 640MB but as I'm typing this I have itunes and mail running in addition to about 4 widgets on my dashboard. max out the memory and you will be happy

had to install using target mode from another mac in the house, as CD rom only though.

8. NewtypeCJ macrumors 6502

NewtypeCJ

I have the same configuration -- iBook G3, 700MHz, 384MB RAM. I don't know that I'm all that eager to buy a new RAM stick for the thing as I'm soon to buy an iMac G5 which'll then take over most of my home computing. But occasionally I go on the road or do stuff from Starbucks or Borders, and it'd be nice to be running Tiger on my machine. Should I run out n' upgrade? Or should I wait till I get my iMac? (could I upgrade my iBook to Tiger with the system discs that'll no doubt be included with the iMac?)

9. DWKlink macrumors regular

10. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

I'm running Tiger on a 700mhz G3 iBook w/ 640MB. It seems to perform just about exactly as it did on Panther. Spotlight, Dashboard, and Expose all work fine. The only hitch to the installation was that I had to do it in Target Disk Mode from my PowerMac because the iBook only has a CDROM.

11. ruud macrumors regular

Tiger seems to be running fine on my ibook (12" G3 800 MHz, 640 MB, 40 GB). The only "issue" so far is that Spotlight still is not available, despite indexing for several hours.

12. markoibook thread starter macrumors regular

Right guys - I've placed the order and Tiger is on its way! Hopefully I should have it within a week (ordered from Amazon.co.uk - only £74.99 with free shipping!)

13. markoibook thread starter macrumors regular

Tiger now installed

Well guys, I now have Tiger installed, and it runs like a dream. Spotlight has just finished indexing, and the Dashboard works fab and very smoothly.
    Would highly recommend Tiger to a G3 iceBook owner!!!

14. the sandor macrumors newbie

can't install mac on G3 ibook dual usb 700mhz

Hi, I have the above listed ibook, and I can't install tiger. I'm told that my computers hardware won't support the software when I try. It has a DVD rom and can read the disk just fine. Does anyone know about tiger and it's compatibility with G3's? everyone else so far on this page seems to be able to do it.

thanks
    sandor

15. benjamin747 macrumors member

Sorry for the late reply :)

I know this thread is dead. And for all I know you might be dead :) 1 you might have the G3 clamshell which you can install tiger using xpostfacto, 2 your computer might not have firewire so again you need to install it using xpostfacto. Search it in google. Best of Luck, and may God bless you!