Tiger on a Mini?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by wattsin, Apr 28, 2005.

1. wattsin macrumors member

2. Trout74 macrumors 6502

Bump!

im curious as well,

I did ask the guy at the genious bar, and he said it would run jsut fine, and would run on any previous mac.

trout

3. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

I have a mini, but haven't installed it yet. But, it does run very well on my powerbook, which has weaker specs then the mini. Also it runs faster on a B&W G3 then Panther did, if that helps at all.

4. crap freakboy macrumors 6502a

crap freakboy

Damn I so want Tiger now, I'd rather have a new PM with it installed though.
    Damn this sawtooth, though saying that it still does the business considering how long in the tooth it is.

5. unfaded macrumors 6502

Tiger runs fantastically on my eMac with similar specs to your mini. Get it :) Although if you plan on using dashboard, more RAM helps. I upped to a gig with Tiger, and it runs a LOT better.

Then again, Panther probably would have seen the same benefit.

6. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

There won't be any Mini revisions, or at least there SHOULDN'T be, as it is so new. But, if there is, the only thing they would really upgrade is the Video Memory to 64 MB.

Tiger should perform 95% on the Mini, the 5% being there won't be so much eye-candy with the mini or almost any G4 Mac (unless upgraded).

7. wattsin thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys, i acutally haven't bought the Mini yet... That really is the only thing that concerns me... 32meg video card... I can up the ram to a gig no problem.

The mini is 107 days old... another 3 months might be a good estimate for a updated version. I dunno if I can wait though

8. geese macrumors 6502a

geese

I tried to install a tiger inside my Mini. But I decided not to as it would mess the seats up and make the Mini rubbish to drive.

9. vouder17 macrumors 6502a

vouder17

hardi har.... :D :D

10. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

It will run fine, quicker than Panther, but some of the Core Image/Video affects (such as the ripple effect in Spotlight) will be disabled because its video card isn't supported.

11. rtdgoldfish macrumors 6502a

rtdgoldfish

I've got it running on my 1.42gHz Mini with 512MB RAM and it is great. No ripples in Dashboard but I could really care less about that. That seems to be the only thing that it is missing. Spotlight is great. Can find anything on both the Mini's internal drive and my external Lacie 160gig. The new Safari is very fast and the built in RSS viewer is nice as well. I really like the screen saver that uses the RSS feeds. Looks just like the video that was posted a few weeks back.

Boot time seems about the same as Panther however it goes to sleep and comes back much quicker than before. Click the mouse and less than a second later, there is the desktop. BitTorrent client doesn't work but that was reported earlier as being an app that Tiger "breaks".

Otherwise, no problems at all. I did a clean install and then reinstalled iLife '05 from the DVD that came with the Mini. Didn't take too long to get all my other apps back. I DLed all the shareware/open source installers to my Lacie before I upgraded so I had everything in one place. Just finishing up the WoW update now.

Any other questions, feel free to post or PM me.

12. wattsin thread starter macrumors member

I think im going to wait until Rev B of the mini...

Really the only thing stoping me is the damned video card...

Do you guys think the next Rev will have a better video card? Or are they going to stick with the 9200

:(

13. noel4r macrumors 6502a

No ripples on the dashboard? Hmmm, now I have to think twice before purchasing the mini. I know it's just eye candy but that's part of what makes it a Mac and also I wanna show off to my Windows friends. All new hardware revisions from now on "MUST" support Core Image. I guess I'm in for a wait.

14. wattsin thread starter macrumors member

Ripples is not why im waiting... I don't want a under powered video card in the long run... If I buy a new computer I would think it should support the lastest OS fully...

One of the biggest improvements in Tiger is the way in handles video...

"That brings up perhaps the biggest caveat about Quartz 2D Extreme. Like Quartz Extreme before it, Quartz 2D Extreme is not supported by all video cards. It requires an ATI Radeon 9600 or NVIDIA GeForce FX or better"

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/os/macosx-10.4.ars/13
    http://arstechnica.com/reviews/os/macosx-10.4.ars/14

15. wide macrumors 6502a

I don't think Apple is in a rush to update the mini. Tiger will run very well, too, you just won't get the benefit of Core Image. I would expect a new mini in August at the earliest, in time for the off-to-school rush

16. Etrain macrumors 6502

Etrain

Wow. 1 feature won't work fully out of 200 new ones. Wow. :rolleyes:

I'm still buying. :D

17. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Just returned from the Apple Store event at Mayfair mall (waited almost an hour). Got to say that Tiger ran beautifully on a 1.42 mini with 512MB connected to a 20" display.

F the ripples man...no need to wait.

18. pinto32 macrumors 6502

I was playing with iPhoto, iMovie, and Photoshop Elements 3 on a 1.42gHz mini at the Apple Store today, and it was doing just fine....better than I expected actually, due to what I had heard about the mini's hard drive holdups.

19. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Well lets hope you are wrong. I think it could be a consumer nightmare if the mini doesn't get an upgrade to the video card in order to take advantage of Core Image.

Also the eye candy is important to the entry level consumer. Apple is trying to compete with some name brand boxes that have 3ghz P4's, DL DVD, 200gb HDD, 512mb RAM at the $700 level.

IMO the mini needs to break the mold of 6 to 9 months between updates.

20. MmmPancakes macrumors 6502

MmmPancakes

I JUST installed Tiger on my Mac-Min 1.25 512 MB...no ripple effects, but everything else seems to work perfect. Ran a little slow the first 30 mins or so due to indexing for spotlight, but other than that, everything is fine, so far.

21. Tuned MP5T macrumors regular

Install Tiger today and the Mac mini handles it perfectly. Only thing is that I don't have iLife.:(

22. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

Well the last rev of iMac G4's will do core-image ;)

23. cwedl macrumors 65816

cwedl

Use the disk that came with you Mac Mini, My disc works fine, I'm using iLife with Tiger on my Mac Mini now.

24. minimax macrumors 6502

I've heard more people expressing this wish, but if you take a step back, and think about it, more frequent updates have to mean:
    a. the updates will be smaller. As updates for other macs arent spectacular either this doesnt look like a viable option for Apple
    b. the mac mini will get faster compared to the other macs. Now, how likely is that? Dream on people...

25. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

More like a small part of one of the features. I spent half an hour on a Tigerized mini, and the ripple was the only feature I didn't see supported. Every other Tiger feature I even vaguely cared about worked. FWIW, the same issue exists with the iBooks. True, it's a cool demo thing, but, really, not all that big of a deal.