Tiger On CD and Making DVD Backups of the Tiger Disk

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Mr. Anderson, May 2, 2005.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Just a quick question - I have one machine that doesn't have a DVD drive that I'd like to put Tiger on and I know Apple has a DVD exchange program, but they want you to send in the original DVD.

If I buy the family pack, I'm not going to want to give away my Tiger DVD for a bunch of CDs for all my machines, so I was wondering if its possible to backup the DVD and make a copy of it. Does it require dual layer DVDs or will a DVD-R be enough? I'm getting a new iMac so I'll probably have the dual layer DVD then.

Or I guess the other thing would be is it possible to put it on CDs your self?

Thanks,

D

2. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

my understanding here is that you have multiple machines, but one that doesn't have a dvd drive. ok, easy. you can use one of those machines to install tiger on that does have a dvd drive. connect the two together via firewire.

someone else can probably break it down, but i wouldn't send it in if you have another machine around that you can do this with.

something like put the dvd in the drive of one of your other computers, restart it in Target mode, then plug the firewire cable in, restart the non-dvd drive computer while holding T and you should be able to install Tiger that way. i've not done this so my directions might be wrong, but you CAN do this. might have to buy a firewire cable however, but you get to keep your dvd

oh and no you can't convert the dvd version to a cd version yourself. read previous threads, there have been about 8 billion of them. also in THIS VERY FORUM at the top in "STICKY" there's one about installing tiger without a dvd drive. read it.

3. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

haha, well, this was a little different topic than that, and I saw it after I posted, my main concern was with the multiple computers issue, thanks - I have 4 machines I'm going to upgrade.

But I'd also like to know if its possible to make a backup of the Tiger DVD anyway - and what I'd need to do it.

D

4. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

the family pack comes with 1 dvd and 5 licenses. you don't get 5 dvd's, one for each computer.

so as i said, buy the family pack, buy a firewire cable, connect the non-dvd drive machine to the other using the firewire cable, use target mode and install that way. it just uses the dvd drive from the other computer to install Tiger on that computer.

backing it up should be as simple as creating an image in Disk Utilities, and then burning to a dvd.. i'm not sure how big it is, someone else will have to help ya there. my copy hasn't arrived yet.

5. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

yeah, that's what I was curious about - but I imagine it has to fit on a 4 gig DVD to work on all the older machines, so I shouldn't have a problem, I was more curious, though.

D