Tiger on iBook G4 1.33 GHz

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ArkabaS, Apr 12, 2005.

1. ArkabaS macrumors member

ArkabaS

Sorry for the simplistic question, but is Tiger worth it for an iBook 1.33GHz 1.256GB RAM Radeon 7000 (best option available for the current iBook generation)??

By "worth it" I am talking about performance and stability; money is not a very big issue. I am currently using the latest version of Panther and am more than satisfied with it. However, I really like the features of Tiger and would gladly upgrade. But, I am really afraid that Tiger will run slower than Panther on my system. Regardless, I am not planning on installing Tiger anytime this spring (I want to wait until school is over).

Thanks for any replies and sorry if I am the millionth person to ask this.

2. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

Mac OS X Tiger will run just as fast, if not faster than Panther. Installing Tiger is definitely worth it for you.
    -Chase

3. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

The iBooks have the ATI 9200 Mobility, not the 7000.

4. TheWitePony macrumors regular

Think of it like this, while Tiger is technically a new OS, its not a next generation OS from Panther. Its just a better, more optomized version of it. It isn't going to obsolete any hardware that currently runs Panther like butter. It will only make it run that much better.

Only downside I could think of would be your card may not support Core Image, but thats not going to hurt you or slow you down in any way.

5. ArkabaS thread starter macrumors member

ArkabaS

Thanks a lot for the reply TheWitePony. Speaking of CoreImage, what exactly will card incompatibility mean? No ripple effect in dashboard? No video iChat reflection? Is this pretty much all?

6. TheWitePony macrumors regular

Exactly, you won't see the ripple effect from what I've heard. It also goes for any Core Image effects that Apple or developers choose to use in their software, so it really depends on the adoption rate of it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Dashboard is the only thing in the OS that is using Core Image effects right now. Not sure about the iChat reflection, but I thought I read in another thread that the requirements for a 3-way chat with reflection were like at least a 1Ghz Dual g4 or something crazy like that, so I'm not sure if my 12" pb could handle that. Not sure if its Core Image related.

All the effects are in the API, so they should be easy for just about anyone to implement them. So over the next few years everyone may be using them, or maybe no one will :D . All depends on how you feel about eye candy I guess. Given that only Dashboard and maybe iChat use them I'd hold off on an upgrade. Who knows how popular its really going to be. Its not like this is going to slow you down or anything, cards that aren't capatable simply won't render the effects.