Tiger on NEW iBook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by JarinS1, Oct 19, 2004.

1. JarinS1 macrumors member

Sep 18, 2004
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Will the new iBook (October 19) support Tiger?
  2. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

So will the old ones. And any existing machine that Apple sells.
  3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    But they won't support CoreImage or CoreVideo will they? (a major feature of Tiger!)
  4. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

No they won't (according to the specs), but it remains to be seen just how major these features will be. Quartz extremes benefits were mostly negligible and there may well be hacks to let machines with lesser cards enable CoreImage or CoreVideo, though like the Quartz Extreme hacks, benefits may not even be noticeable...

Apple is introducing these things now for machines and OS's years down the road..
  5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    No, but that's scalable (innit?) so I'm pretty confident it will run on virtually any flavour of 'G' you care to mention, perhaps not perfectly in the case of the early G3 iMacs but I bet you it'll still be supported...
  6. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

Oct 5, 2004
    Yea but do you really need to use core image and core video? A way of filtering pictures and adjusting in micro incriments a little shade here or there?What stumps me is why would they put applications in an os such as tiger that are not supported by the hardware seems like wasted space to me.Maybe coreimage and corevideo will be optional programs to be purchased on the side from apple that is if they are not for sure coming inside of tiger. :D
  7. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

Oct 5, 2004
    How about "voice over" another app thats coming with tiger how will that work since there is no built in microphone on the ibook
  8. javabear90 macrumors 6502a

Dec 7, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Yes there is a built in microphone. See the little hole on the right side of the screen? that is a microphone.
  9. aswitcher macrumors 603

Oct 8, 2003
    Canberra OZ
    So without CoreImage/Video compliant V Card what do you miss out on?

Just whiz bang graphics effects?

Are there A/V chat things missed?
  10. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    I'm sure if I end up installing Tiger on my 450MHz Sawtooth it will grunt and limp along....Panther is not exactly snappy either, for that matter.

11. MXDT macrumors member

Oct 19, 2004
    Core Imaging may be supported but on a scaled level, scaled to fit each video card that is on every Mac that supports Tiger.

Core Image requirements:

The performance gains and features supported by Core Image ultimately depend on the graphics card. Graphics cards capable of pixel-level programming deliver the best performance. But Core Image automatically scales as appropriate for systems with older graphics cards, for compatibility with any Tiger-compatible Mac.
  12. Dippo macrumors 65816

Sep 27, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Here's the plan....

Tiger will support the newly released iBooks.

If you are really concerned about the CoreImage stuff, then when Tiger comes out next year, EBay your iBook and buy a newer one that supports it.

That way you would get a good 6+ months use out of this iBook and will still probably get 75% value back when you sell it. On top of that, you won't have to shell out $129 for Tiger because it will come free on the newer future iBook!

Of course if the CoreImage stuff turns out to be not that important, than you can just keep your iBook and buy a copy of Tiger.
  13. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Jul 4, 2004
    Has this rumor been killed yet?

Wow, this one is persistant, I've seen it ko'd in several different threads and it just keeps coming back. Die, nasty rumor, die!
  14. dav macrumors 6502

Jun 29, 2004
    This CoreImage situation is worried about too much.
  15. Cybbe macrumors 6502

Sep 15, 2004
    Does anybody really know how CoreImage will work, what benefits it will give and so on? It seems there's a lot of speculation and little hard facts What will iBook-users without CoreImage-support miss out of, if anything but performance? Are there any hard facts out there?
  16. mj_1903 macrumors 6502a

Feb 3, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    CoreImage is a tool for developers, it is not really a feature of the operating system. Saying this, there are some minor core image effects in Tiger and you have already seen them in the keynote. They will scale happily on the processor.

CoreImage is more along the lines of a one man show being able to develop an app that competes quite handsomely with Photoshop, so as with Photoshop these days if you have a fast machine, it will run fast. If not, it will still run, but not as fast.
  17. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

Aug 5, 2003
    as already said, it will support Tiger of course, CoreImage/CoreVideo will be scaled, maybe the effects will take a bit longer maybe won't be the kickass steve showed (Of course, he was using 8 GB RAM and 256 MB VRAM) :cool: , after this release we can expect 64 MB VRAM in every mac, the real BOOM will be iLife 06 when they take all of the Core Image/Video possibilities ... next year will be evolution, 06 revolution... palabra.
  18. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

May 6, 2004
    What's Your Favorite Posish

what the hell is coreimage/corevideo??
    and what will it do change
    the stuff he was doing with the zebra was pretty cool....

19. solvs macrumors 603

Jun 25, 2002
    LaLaLand, CA
    The thing I think of is when Quartz Extreme was first announced, a 32MB video card was recommended. Then Apple released a G3 iBook with a 16MB Radeon. The revised specs said it was compatible, albeit probably slower. Tiger will work. Most of it's features will work fine. Fancy stuff will probably be slower.

Anybody running Tiger on a 32MB Radeon 9200? Can you make zebras swirl?