TIGER ON PC's?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by G5Unit, May 19, 2005.

1. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

I was wondering .....because I heard around school that tiger could be installed on pc's! Plz confirm this and maybe a how-to would be muchly appreciated.

2. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

No version of Mac OS X runs on x86 hardware (PCs). There is an emulator, but its so slow the OS is unusable.

So your answer is NO.

3. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

I heard there was an emulator that had ok performance, but do you really think apple would be that dumb? To make to worth their while they'd have to ask over $1000 for it if they were to develop to support PC hardware combinations, and well over $300 to take make up for the potential loss of revenue from hardware switchers!

4. iHateWindows macrumors 6502

This was something I was researching on before I bought a Mac Mini. There is one emulator for Windows that I never learned how to use because it was so frickin' complicated, PearPC, but it is so slow that I would definitely not reccomend it.

5. G5Unit thread starter macrumors 68020

G5Unit

really......that kinda sucks....n e way is redhat compatible with most *windows* stuff?<----sry....i no its a mac site but....

6. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Eh, RedHat Linux is its own operating system. Microsoft doesn't make software for Linux.

Look at OpenOffice and such.

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

No, you need Linux apps. Red Hat is targetted at businesses, if you're a home user then you'd probably do better with something like SuSE. Some people prefer Fedora, but I've never really liked it.

8. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Tell those crazy folks at school, "NO!"
    :D

9. Makosuke macrumors 603

It sounds like you're asking whether RedHat is compatible with Windows applications, in which case the answer is definitely "no". (Although there are applications available on Linux, generally for free, that will let you work with most *documents* created with Windows, same as the case with the Mac.)

If, however, you're asking whether RedHat is compatible with the *hardware* that Windows runs on (x86 based chips and the appropriate motherboards), then the answer is "yes"--for the most part, it'll work fine.

10. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

I used PearPC and it was so slow. I could never get the ethernet driver to work either. What a waste of time. :-\