Tiger on Powermac G4 450 mhz . . . MANY problems

Discussion in 'macOS' started by tonywalker23, Jun 25, 2005.

1. tonywalker23 macrumors regular

Dec 21, 2003
    tiger install kept freezing on a dual g4 450mhz with 128 mb of ram (gigabit ethernet). so i installed tiger to an eternal hd using my powerbook then put the hd back in the powermac.
    it started up and everything but it is EXTREMLEY SLOW. i mean, when you mouse over the dock, it magnifies about 4 or 5 secs later . . . opening an app takes forever.
    also i have yet to get back ANYTHING when doing a spotlight search in the upper right menu. and when searching from the upper right of a finder window it get nothing but a spinning thing, no matter how long i wait.
    when ever i enable web sharing in the sharing prefs, it says starting up then just stays like that (starting up) but never changes.
    and, i dont have the rss screensaver of the spectrum one like i do on my 867 powerbook. and when i click the "i" to flip over a widget it just turns over without any animation (you cant actually see it turn) could this be due to the graphics card in the power mac g4

any help appreciated,
    tony walker
    the Bible podcast: www.preachertony.com
  2. skubish macrumors 68030

Feb 2, 2005
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
  3. GodBless macrumors 65816

Jan 22, 2005
    Yeah a second 128 ram stick should do the job. I would recommend more but you should be fine with 256 total.
  4. Linkjeniero macrumors 6502

Jan 6, 2005
    Also, you don't want to use an OS X installation made in another machine (it surprises me that it even worked at all). After you get that extra RAM, make a fresh install in the same computer.
  5. tonywalker23 thread starter macrumors regular

Dec 21, 2003
    yea, i am too :)
    first i put tiger on an ipod and the 450 g4 booted from that (slowly) so then i put it on a hd and stuck it in the g4 and low and behold, it booted.
  6. TrenchMouth macrumors 6502

Nov 21, 2002
    the 128MB of ram is the problem, hands down.

256 is needed at least, and if you can wing it go for as much as you can afford. get a 256 stick or a 512 stick if you got some cash lying around.

i ran os x on my iBook 500MHz with 256MB for a while. that was fun....upgrading to 640MB made all the dif in the world.