Tiger or Leapord on 1.5 PowerBook?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by jrachuy, Mar 5, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

Picked up a nice 1.5 15" PowerBook and I was just curious what OS would run the best? It currently only has 512mb, but I'm sure I'll throw another 512mb stick in it. Any thoughts appreciated!

2. macrumors Core

I currently run Tiger on my 1.5Ghz PB. I have 2GB RAM in there. I'm waiting for Leopard to become more stable before switching to that.

3. macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

As much as I'd like to say Leopard, I really think you should stick w. Tiger right now. Very stable for the PB. I've run into some "issues" running Leopard on older Macs - and newer ones for that matter.

4. Administrator

annk

Staff Member

I have a 17" 1.5 GHz PB, and although I like the features of Leopard, I must admit it ran snappier with Tiger. I've got 2 GB of RAM. When I only had 1 GB, Leopard was a problem.

5. macrumors 68040

killmoms

Yeah, if you have less than 1GB on a machine that old, I'd say sticking with Tiger is probably your best bet.

6. macrumors 6502

If you are only going to stay with 512 ram I would go with Tiger. If you want to run Leopard smoothly you will need to add in some ram. It's not too expensive to max it out.

7. macrumors 65816

Brianstorm91

I'm running 10.5.2 on a 1.33GHz/512MB PowerBook and yeah alright, 10.4's faster but come on - 10.5 is fine.

8. macrumors member

I just sold my PB 1.5 but I would highly highly suggest maxing it out by throwing in a 1 GB stick. There is already 256 MB built in, so just replace the accessible ram slot with a 1GB stick. I was running leopard perfectly fine. Expose actions were smooth as was the general interface, etc.