Tiger or panther 10.3.9?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by neda, Nov 6, 2005.

1. neda macrumors member

I sorry if this is a repeated thread, but I need help. Right now I have OS X 10.3.9 running on my G5 and powerbook things are great. I heard some others having problems when they upgrade to tiger. Should I risk the upgrade?
    I have stuff from Limewire will that be effected in a upgrade?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Hmm... I didn't have any problems updating the seven Macs I've done so far. I did a clean install on them though, rather than an upgrade per se. This LimeWire thing could throw a herring in the works though...

3. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

It should be gravy.

Just do a backup first, just in case anything does go wrong, as with all upgrades.

Take his lead. Do an archive and install?

4. neda thread starter macrumors member

would just an upgrade be safe enough than a clean install?

5. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

You shouldn't have any problems upgrading. I updated my PB with an archive and install and everything worked fine. I didn't lose any of my files I had d/l from Limewire if that's what you're concerned about...?

6. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Firstly, I strongly recommend to upgrade to Tiger. You won't regret it. I'm bored of analyzing again why you should do that. Just do it :) .
    Secondly, do a clean install, or at least an Archive and Install. Many people I know had problems with the upgrade option.
    Lastly...

Oh, I haven't got anything else to say! :)

7. kerpow macrumors 6502

I really wouldn't worry about upgrading rather than doing a clean install. Famous last words I suppose, but its alot smoother than a Windows upgrade from, say, 2000 to XP.

8. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

I just upgraded to Tiger a couple weeks ago. Did an archive & install, had no problems.

Overall, I like it a lot. One thing I've noticed though is that my system seems a bit slower that it did before. I get a lot more beachballs than I used to under Panther.

(I have an iMac G5 1.8 / 512 MB RAM)

9. neda thread starter macrumors member

see m- dogg saw a difference in speed after puttng on tiger thats some thing I dont need, since I use photoshop a lot.

10. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

Programs seem slower to open if I have a couple things open already. Performance doesn't necessarily seem worse in programs once they are up and running though.

I don't have Photoshop, so I can't advise on that.

Not sure how much RAM you have in your machines, but that may play a role.

11. electronboy macrumors 6502

I would not upgrade to 10.4 unless you want problems. I was running 10.3.9 on a PMG5 dual 1.8 with NO problems and everything was great. Then upgraded to 10.4 and all the problems started. Safari locks, freezes and crashes and Mail sometimes does flaky stuff.

I am running 10.4.3 and hoped that it would fix all these problems and it has not. If you must run 10.4 do an archive install or an erase install and import all your stuff or start from scratch.

Oh, and I have repaired permissions, reset Safari and even reinstalled Safari all to no help. Oh, did I mention that sometimes Software Update flakes out on ocassion?

Widgets and Spotlight are not worth all these headaches. The OS was released prematurely and has serious problems that Apple refuses to admit.

p.s.- you better have at least 512MB of RAM to run tiger, you could run panther on 256MB, but tiger is a memory hog.

12. cemorris macrumors regular

I love tiger and would not go back. Not had any problems as of yet

13. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I did an Upgrade install on my rev. c 12" PB (not an Archive & Install), and haven't had any problems at all. I can honestly say the PB has NEVER crashed/kernel panicked... ever. While my G5 tower also runs quite well, I can't make the same statement for it (and its running a clean 10.4.x install, not a Panther-to-Tiger upgrade).

14. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

It's probably safe to think of Tiger as a significant update to Panther, rather than as an entirely different system.
    My experience with two machines, (iMac G4 and Powermac G4) is that it's a very worthwhile upgrade.
    Automator is surprisingly useful, and there are many very useful widgets for dashboard now.
    IMO, it's a no-brainer upgrade if your machines are compliant.
    Certainly, it's more significant than Panther was.

15. DaftUnion macrumors 6502a

DaftUnion

Tiger is just great for me. I use Panther at school 10.3.9 and Tiger at home, and I like Tiger A LOT more than the one at school. I've never EVER had any stabililty problems with it.

16. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

17. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

With 10.4.3 just released, you should go ahead and upgrade. Most of the bugs have been ironed out. I did a regular upgrade installation and didn't have any problems.

18. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

I'd go for Tiger, and replace Limewire with Acquisition.

19. NYJetsFan macrumors member

NYJetsFan

No problems here; both on iBook G4 and iMac G4, in fact running better than ever!

Tiger will give you some great new features, I recommend it to anyone; however with 10.5 (Leopard) about a year away...if you can hold off with Panther, I would do so.

It all boils down to wheather the OS is doing what you need it to.

"D"

20. neda thread starter macrumors member

thanks everyone I'm not to sure, I may wait for the new OS a year from now or maybe try Tiger on my powerbook G4 and see what happens until I try it on my G5