Tiger or Panther on Power Mac G4/466

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by tsk, Sep 2, 2005.

1. tsk macrumors 6502a

tsk

I've gotten a Power Mac G4/466 and I'm trying to figure out whether I should put Panther or Tiger on this system. It has 768MB RAM (I might even be able to scrape up another 256MB to make it a full GB) and a 30GB hard disk. Any opinions on which way I should go?

Thanks.

2. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

I woulkd use Panther. I miight work better but ima not sure.

3. roglisk macrumors newbie

I had an old 450 sawtooth with a gig of Ram and tiger ran faster than panther - for me at least. I had the same ol' rage pro in there also.

4. RGunner macrumors 6502a

RGunner

5. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

Absolutely, Tiger. It runs great on my B&W G4 500, so the extra bus speed and overall improvements on the Digital Audio, it will run like a champ.

6. douglas macrumors member

I'm in the same boat, with a G4 350mz, 640mb RAM, Radeon 7000 GPU. I upgraded to Tiger recently from OS9 and found the machine very slow, with the odd crash. Then I installed Panther on the advice of a service tech, which seems to run equally slowly (lots of beachballs, slow opening pdf's, etc.). I may switch back to Tiger, or just buy a new mini.

7. tsk thread starter macrumors 6502a

tsk

Ok then. If it's Tiger, the next question is: can I install a DVD drive in it? Or is there something special that needs to be done? I tried putting in a generic DVD burner and it spit out the DVD and didn't seem to want to boot. Or do I need to trade in the DVD copy of Tiger for CDs?

8. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

You can install a DVD drive in it with no problem. I highly recommend the Pioneer DVR-109, as it works perfectly with Tiger.

9. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/