Tiger, or the end of the G4 era?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Del-Uks, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Del-Uks macrumors newbie

Hi there,

Could you help me on this issue...

Since Tiger is designed to take advantage of the G5 processor, does it mean that, as soon as the next generation of applications will come up with full 64 bit support, the G4 CPUs will be obsolete?

Not that the G4 CPUs won't be able to run the future applications, but if they can't get the full potential of them... there will be some kind of a gap, right?

- If the recent rumors about an availability of G5 iBook and PowerBook for Q2 2005 ( http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=104966 ) is confirmed, the answer will be quite clear. Isn't it?

- Now, if they come up with an other G4 PowerBook line... what am I going to do?
    I need to replace my Titanium PowerBook as soon as possible... but I don't want to spend $2K for a machine that will only be able to run the curent version of my applications...

Am I missing something?

Cheers,

Aleks

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

64-bit OS and full suite of applications isn't going to happen over night. Tiger isn't even going to be full on 64-bit, let alone applications. 32-bit has got a long life left yet (in computing terms). Don't worry about it.

3. 3Memos macrumors 6502

Your still 4-6 years away from that happening where your apps no longer work on the G4. The transition to 64-bit will take at least a decade, if not longer.

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

The only advantage of running in 64bit mode is a larger address space. In general recompiling a 32-bit application for 64-bit mode will not make it faster. In fact it normally makes it SLOWER. Tiger includes support for any process to run in a 64-bit address space, but the OS itself is almost all 32-bit. It runs just fine on a G4 or even a G3.