Tiger or wait for Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by disconap, Sep 18, 2006.

  1. disconap macrumors 68000

    disconap

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2005
    Location:
    Portland, OR
    #1
    I have been running Panther for a year or so now and am impressed with the performance increase (see sig for specs, Sawtooth) over Jaguar. But I am now debating buying a Tiger upgrade; thing is, everyone I've talked to has said that the only real differences are in appearance (and some add-ons, like widgets). Will Tiger significantly outperform Panther, or should I wait for Leopard?
     
  2. bearbo macrumors 68000

    bearbo

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2006
    #2
    how urgent is your need?

    tiger will certainly outperform panther, and the features are significant.. however, if your need is not that urgent, i'd advise you wait for another half yr, til leopard comes along
     
  3. disconap thread starter macrumors 68000

    disconap

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2005
    Location:
    Portland, OR
    #3
    My needs aren't that great, but I'm optimizing my Sawtooth for the "final" time (buying a dual 1.3 processor and replacing the 20gig RAID with a 160gig RAID that will house the OS). I would likely strip Tiger down to its barebones self, so I am just curious if I am going to notice a significant speed bump using it or if it's not worth it and I should just wait and see what Leopard has to offer...
     
  4. ghall macrumors 68040

    ghall

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2006
    Location:
    Rhode Island
    #4
    Well, since you don't have Tiger yet, than there's no point in buying it now. It's just a waste of money since Leopard will be coming out in like half a year.
     
  5. clevin macrumors G3

    clevin

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2006
    #5
    Apple updates its OSX system every 1-2 years, you decide if you want to wait.
     
  6. NATO macrumors 68000

    NATO

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2005
    Location:
    Northern Ireland
    #6
    Like ghall said, I'd wait for Leopard. You've waited this long before debating an upgrade, I'd wait another 6 months or so, unless you can justify spending the money now and again in 6 months.
     
  7. disconap thread starter macrumors 68000

    disconap

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2005
    Location:
    Portland, OR
    #7
    I figured as much. I've played with Tiger on other hardware and wasn't all that impressed, so I'll just wait. I was just wanting to see if anyone had any experience with early G4 hardware and performance gains from Tiger, but yeah, not worth the $90...
     
  8. FredClausen macrumors regular

    FredClausen

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2006
    Location:
    KALM
    #8
    With all due respect, Tiger is not faster than Pather. I had a PPC Mini with Panther on it, and I upgraded to Tiger after a few weeks. The mini slowed down. Not by much, but it wasn't a faster experience at all.
     
  9. Willis macrumors 68020

    Willis

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2006
    Location:
    What feels like the middle of nowhere
    #9
    Well, my iMac G4 had OS X 10.0 on it, and that was pretty shoddy. Got the free 10.1 and kept it there for about 2 1/2 years. Upgraded to Panther, saw some gains, then got Tiger Last year and its never been better. If you asked this question 3-4 months back, i'd of said upgrade... Since Leopard is around the corner, I'd hold off.

    But Tiger does run well on G4's. Just make sure you have a fair amount of Ram, which you pretty much do anyway.
     
  10. Schroedinger macrumors regular

    Schroedinger

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2004
    Location:
    Baltimore, MD
    #10
    It depends how much money you have. If you won't feel any pain from getting Tiger now and Leopard later, then go ahead and do that. Six months is a long time. Go ahead and buy the new toy, um, OS.
     
  11. DaveP macrumors 6502

    DaveP

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2005
    #11
    I'm cheap. I would wait. I personally did not notice a speed increase. The only Tiger specific feature I really use is spotlight, but I could certainly live without it.
     

Share This Page