tiger pre-installed?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Rob587, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Rob587 macrumors 6502a

Rob587

when will tiger start shipping pre-installed on the powerbooks? Or when will they be in apple stores. Im gonna go gt myself a powerbook really soon, but I dont want to have to buy tiger.

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

You may have to wait awhile. It could be as soon as the launch date, or a month later. I wouldn't wait. You can pay $10 for Tiger.

3. Rob587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rob587

I can pay $10 after I buy a powerbook with the previous version on it? How so?

4. thunderclap macrumors 6502a

thunderclap

If it's the same as when I bought my G5, Apple will have a free upgrade option for you. All you need to do is fax them proof of purchase and pay $10 shipping and they will send you Tiger.

5. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

It's even easier than that. You qualify your computer(s) online using the serial number and order online from Apple for $10 US. :) Delivery by the 29th included.

6. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

And being that the pBooks are not scheduled to be updated for a while, why wait?

7. Rob587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rob587

it really sucks that I will be buying this computer for college and then around september theyre gonna come out with better computers. :(

8. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Thats just the nature of computers. But...If you don't need it until september, wait until then. If you are going to get good use out of it from now until september, then buy now.

9. drsuse macrumors member

i'm in a similar position. i'm moving across the country for university at the end of august, from Victoria, BC to Ottawa, ON. i think i'll get enough use out of the thing to justify buying on the 29th though. i'm also not too keen on the idea of going to university without a laptop and no real idea when apple will have a next-gen powerbook in my hands. i know the current ones work, and are fast enough to run anything i could conceive of needing to run (FCP4.5, photoshop, etc.).