Tiger Preview Disk Question

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by sockeatingdryer, Jun 28, 2004.

1. sockeatingdryer macrumors regular

sockeatingdryer

This could be a positively stupid question, but...
    I'm a document designer, but my friend's a developer, so he goes to the WWDC every year. He's willing to copy his disk and let me have the copy. I have a 2-part question to this:

A) When the public release is released, can I upgrade it or do I have to buy it?
    B) Is it a full OS?

Also, is buggy to the point where I should just wait? (I want to be able to run my everyday apps w/o crashing all the time)

2. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

well first your commiting piracy and thats not allowed here.

your not a developer so you shouldn't be playing with these highly experimental os'es.

your gonna have to buy/ reinstall always even between betas as far as I recall. so theres no chance ot upgrade ... that would leave for a bad install anyway.

3. sockeatingdryer thread starter macrumors regular

sockeatingdryer

You're Right

You're right. That is along the lines of piracy.
    I normally don't do that sort of stuff, and by the way you're talking, it sounds more of a pain than it's worth anyway. Thanks!

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It can definitely be a pain because it's buggy in a way that the average person would never want to handle it.

Even Apple says not to put them on a production machine because eventually, you could lose something important.

Sure, you get to see new things and it may run faster, but many times, it crashes faster.

I'm certain we'll see plenty of people who will get it from a p2p network and then, will complain because it doesn't work right--just as we've seen the past couple of years. :rolleyes:

5. Xenious macrumors 6502a

Does apple do all its beta testing internally and with software developers?

6. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...mostly, yes. But there have been exceptions to that - the Mac OS X Public Beta was one, Safari was another...and there are more....oh yeah!