Tiger Preview

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Jun 28, 2004.

1. MacBytes
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors bot

2. Captain Canuck
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors member

Captain Canuck

Dashboard -- Fun Widgets my *&@?!

Dashboard is the dumbest and ugliest thing I have ever seen from Apple -- not to mention a complete rip-off of Konfabulator. Spotlight is a nice addtion but the finder still needs more enhancements than just that (See Cocoatech's "Path Finder" http://www.cocoatech.com/pf.php) Apple take a hint here. They better have more to offer than what they've presented so far to make Tiger worth the upgrade -- which was last rumored as going to cost more money.

cc

p.s. Konfabulator wigets actually look good er.. make that "great" in comparison.

3. nagromme
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors G5

nagromme

I don't think Apple has Tiger finished as is just waiting a year to sell it

I'm going to take a wild guess that Apple may make some additional enhancements between now and mid-2005 :rolleyes:

4. wrldwzrd89
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors G4

wrldwzrd89

I agree - Tiger is a long way from being finished, just as Panther was when it was demoed at WWDC 2003. However, it looks like Tiger will take longer to complete than Panther did. I wonder if this trend will continue - meaning that in some upcoming WWDC Apple won't have a new Mac OS X ready for us.

5. Nermal
    Expand Collapse

Nermal

Staff Member

Reminds me more of Desk Accessories than Konfabulator.

6. Captain Canuck
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors member

Captain Canuck

Either or it's still a rip-off. I guess my point may be better stated this way...

If you're going to make a new feature announcement it shouldn't be of something that's so obvious a rip-off. And, if you are going to rip-off something it should be something useful like Cocoatech's "Path Finder" (I have nothing to to with Path Finder I just think it's a great "useful" product).

I guess we'll see what more they have tucked away once we get closer to the actual release.

cc

7. Nermal
    Expand Collapse

Nermal

Staff Member

Er, Apple made Desk Accessories back in the 80s. I wasn't aware it was possible to "rip-off" your own company.

8. TomSmithMacEd
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

Hey, I did the vr tour of dashboard. I thought it looked very helpful, and nice. Maybe change the color and hte look a little bit, but I know it will be something I'll use a lot.

9. ALoLA
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors regular

What's the difference between Dashboard and running a bunch of little apps? Is this just some kind of Launcher? For that matter, what exactly does Konfabulator do? Is it also a launcher of some sort? :confused:

10. svenr
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors regular

Why don't u just go to the Konfabulator website and find out?

11. wdlove
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors P6

wdlove

That is very likely. Phil Schiller commented that we just can maintain the current pace. The future release of the OS will be slower.