Tiger problems?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by slipper, Apr 29, 2005.

1. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

ok im about to buy Tiger tonight here in hawaii. just wondering... for the people who had a chance to fool around with the OS, is there any bugs? will i be able to reinstall my programs with no problems? (iLife 05, iWork, Photoshop CS, MYOB, etc.)

2. jhomayne macrumors regular

i know that there are people with problems but i didn't even bother with an archive and restall. i just stuck the cd in, went and watched the simpsons and the like and then came back to a new OS.

:)

3. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

Archive and install worked great for me. Both of my Macs in my sig are up and running with little problem. I had to reinstall my HP printer/scanner software plus a few open source programs. That's it...

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Spotlight etc

I find that Spotlight is really flaky. I was searching for "invoice": I entered "inv", and it returned LESS results than "invo", which produced LESS than "invoice". This is NUTS.

Secondly, it has failed to find a folder on my desktop. and a file in that folder. If my "Finder" cannot now find a named file, what use is it? Can one turn Spotlight off? It doesn't look like it.

Thirdly - yes, this is a moan - when I opened a bunch of jpegs together in Preview, most of them got the wrong thumbnails: not only are there only 3 thumbnails for 12 jpegs, but those three are from images I had thrown away. Now they are permanently attached to the wrong images, and I have no idea how to generate new thumbnails. My installation went by the book: permissions repaired before and after.

Any ideas?

I must say that I feel this iteration of OSX is a bit of a waste of time (and money): Dashboard duplicates already available stuff, Spotlight fails to impress, and the Mail upgrade seems fairly pointless, too.

5. mcmav37 macrumors 6502

I did the simple upgrade and had no problems.

I disagree with the previous poster wholeheartedly and with conviction. Spotlight is revolutionary and will change how I use my computer. It is that good. Sure, Dashboard doesn't give you things you couldn't do before, but the way it is delivered is awesome. I won't have to visit fedex.com anymore to track new Apple shipments... just use the Widget.

It is awesome.

6. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Ditto

Haven't had any significant problems...I chose the 'upgrade' option on both of my machines, and it went really smoothly. The only thing that no longer works is my Cisco VPN client (Cisco is working on an update for Tiger).

Spotlight is awesome. I could have really used it the other day when I was searching *everywhere* for these pictures I lost. Haven't used Dashboard much, but from the looks of it, I'm going to really like it. Things seem faster, zippier...boot up is faster, system preferences is faster, plus .Mac sync syncs all this cool new stuff like keychain.

Very pleased!

7. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    How did you install? Upgrade, archive or erase? I repaired my PB's permissions, booted from another volume and repaired the PB's HD, rebooted back to PB and repaired permissions and then used Archive and Install. Absolutely no problems at all here.

I must say that so far (4 hours) I disagree with your final comments. Spotlight is working perfectly for me; it's finding things in keywords, comments in iPhoto (my only bugbear is that it doesn't show the title that you've given something in iPhoto; it's the filename which you can't change in the iPhoto library without re-importing IIRC). The thumbnails are correct, the extra info is correct or, at least, I haven't noticed any anomalies yet.

Dashboard too is working well. I'm already in love with the UK train gadget (by mymacplace from Apple site) - it's much faster than using the National Rail website! Mail I haven't done much with so far.

But overall, my Powerbook (1.25 G4) is definitely running faster (although slightly hotter) and I'm impressed.

8. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

when i was at the apple store playing around and opened up ilife and idvd i got alot missing font errors..... it also happened in pages and keynotes 2.....

9. mileslong macrumors 6502

mileslong

my powerbook wont shut down now.

since i downloaded tiger yesterday the main problem i have had is that now my computer wont shut down. i have to hold down the power button in order to turn it off. i have a PB 1.67Ghz 17".

anyone know anything about this problem?

10. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Standard Upgrade, sans Asian Languages, Additional Fonts and Printer Drivers (987MB total). Permissions repaired using the Disk Utility on the DVD after rebooting from that.
    That in itself is a bit odd: I must have over a hundred "DSNC0001"s in my iPhoto library. Isn't the user-assigned iPhoto title in the metadata somewhere? Anyway, mine simply can't see things which are right in front of it. I was searching for "4.jpg" and nothing came up. Not too taxing, I would have thought.
    My thumbnail problem is with Preview. Spotlight can't even see the files, let alone the thumbnails.
    I'm very happy for you. No, really!
    :rolleyes:

PS Does anyone know where Preview thumbnails are stored? If I wipe them out, presumably Preview will be forced to generate new ones.

11. Muskie macrumors 6502

Muskie

I did an upgrade, and I've only noticed two small things.

First: If I change users with fast user switching, and come back, my main account seems faded out. Like the contrast and brightness are too high or something, its weird. I have tried adjusting monitor settings, but nothing changes what needs to be fixed. The only way to fix it is to log out and come back, not just switch between users again.

Second: When opening some apps (even smaller ones like TextEdit) I get the beachball for ~5 seconds. It's not a problem or anything, just interesting that I get it with only (what seems to be) a select few.

Spotlight is working really well for me, I am completely amazed with this addition to OS X and I love it. I use it constantly (sometimes just to play with it or test it :) ).

12. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Yes and Spotlight is searching the iPhoto title. It just doesn't show you the title when the results up or when you click for more info. Another little annoyance is that it shows you when the file was last edited in iPhoto rather than when it was taken if you start filtering the images.

Definitely not normal. I created a 4.jpg and buried it deep in a file system and it was there within seconds. Have you tried forcing Spotlight to reindex?
    Macosxhints link

good luck

13. BWhaler macrumors 68020

BWhaler

Are there bugs?

Yes, there are tons of them from my experience.

With that said, I haven't found anything yet I would categorize as critical. Just tons of cosmetic things. Annoyances left and right.

But I wouldn't hold back in my opinion. The new pro apps coming out in 3 weeks require 10.4.1, so Apple has to be hard at work with the bug fixes...

14. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Thanks, Ms MacWeaver (or whatever your name is!)
    :)
    I'll try that now.

15. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Been there, done that, no change. Please don't tell me I'm going to have to reinstall... :(

16. harveypooka macrumors 65816

My Tiger experience so far:

Improved performance: For instance, Safari handles tabs a lot better,
    everything loads faster.

Mail: what the hell have they done to mail?! The interface is a mess and you
    can't change the mailbox list as you could in Panther...I want the old mail
    back.

Dashboard: a bit gimicky, I'm sure it will come in handy, but seems at the moment as if it's just a little pointless...

Crashing: running Safari, Mail, Adium, Itunes and Acquisition (downloading at 145k) and unarchiving a zip folder hung the system. The spinning beach ball has came up twice and I've had to restart...

Mixed bag really. Bring on 10.4.1!!!!

17. Zaty macrumors 65816

Don't use Mac Janitor with Tiger!

Yesterday I did performed an archive & intstall and everything went well. This morning I ran the cron jobs in Mac Janitor. Afterwards I couldn't reboot anymore! The spinning wheel kept spinning forerver! I thought using MacJanitor was safe but apparently it's not!

18. harveypooka macrumors 65816

That's weird. Maybe MacJanitor hasn't been updated for Tiger. I know Cron is a scheduler that allows timing for various system things, maybe it messed about with it? Best check the website.

19. Roller macrumors 68020

Agreed. I'm running Tiger on a 1.25 GHz PowerBook. Installation was easy, but I've already had 1 kernel panic, and several Widgets have crashed. I'm sure there are other bugs lurking, so I'm holding off on upgrading my desktop Mac.

This is also the first upgrade in awhile that requires new versions of some of my apps (Now Up-to-Date, Retrospect), neither of which is out yet.

20. harveypooka macrumors 65816

I've had quite a few crashes so far - spinning beach ball for minutes on end, needed a forced reboot. I'm sure they'll be fixed soon but I wouldn't like to work in an environment where information is critical with Tiger...best hold off for a while!

21. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Whatever dictionary they use for the widget has some misspellings in Russian...

But no, no actual problems so far.

22. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

what i did was boot from the tiger dvd... launched disk utility from there.. formatted the hd using write random zero's option.. and then installed tiger just fine.. have not noticed any bugs per sey.. random slow downs... but overall pretty good experience.

23. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

i erased my HD 2X over with disk utility and then installed Tiger and after that i reinstalled my programs, and it was a bit slow the first night and i thought this was going to spell trouble, but today my computer is perfectly responsive and everything. (also doesn't hurt that i bought RAM yesterday at the apple store so i finally have 512 :/)

24. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I just minimized a Quicktime movie to the dock and now it won't open back up when clicked on, nor if I select open. I clicked on the quicktime icon and it appeared onscreen, but didn't maximize and also remains in the dock.