Tiger questions

Discussion in 'macOS' started by KurtangleTN, Apr 3, 2007.

1. KurtangleTN macrumors 6502a

I got my iBook with Panther, and I'm wondering what you guys think of me upgrading to Tiger...

It's a 12 inch, 800 mhz G3, 384mb of ram..

Now originally I thought Panther would be the best option.. but reading some other people with the same or lesser stats said they worked just as well as Panther..

Anyone else on a closer system?

And one more question, I'm thinking about getting another lower desktop mac in the future (next couple of months, thinking eMac) I'd like Tiger on the desktop, so if I were to buy a retail install would I be able to upgrade both?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Get more RAM. Your Quartz Extreme support should be enough. Just don't expect Quicktime to fly on that machine.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Issues to think about:

- How much free disk space will you have? Tiger expects more free disk space than Panther, probably because of Spotlight. Plan to have about 20% or more free disk space.

- How happy are you with performance on your RAM right now? If you're willing to disable Dashboard, you'll probably get loosely comparable performance in terms of RAM in Panther and Tiger, although Tiger will still use slightly more RAM. If you also disable Spotlight, you'll probably be close to a wash, although Spotlight is arguably the best feature in Tiger (I can live without DB but not wo Spotlight). Other than memory issues, Tiger will generally be very slightly faster than Panther.

Finally, no, a retail license only allows you to legally upgrade one computer. You cannot legally use the same retail install on two different Macs at the same time.

4. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

quartz extreme is supported, but keep in mind that core image is not. to the op, i have an 800 mhz ibook g4 with 640 mb of ram. it runs tiger ok, not great. though i can't quite recall the performance of panther, i wouldn't go back to panther even if it was faster because of spotlight. spotlight alone makes the operating system worth having.

5. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

Tiger does double the minimum Memory requirement than Panther, so more ram is the only thing I think U want to add more.

6. KurtangleTN thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, it's a 30gb HD. Which is fairly fine. I mainly want to do web browsing and multimedia (DVDs especially on it), but since I should get an enclosure for my old 60gb laptop HD.. HD space isn't a really huge deal..

I'm more wanting the newer safari (It's only tiger?) With tabs, spotlight is pretty cool, and i'm not sure i'd actually use widgets to tell you the truth.

Performance-wise right now, I'm really happy. It was pretty shocking that my try-out mac system works on par with my desktop for the most part. Even boots and shutdowns faster.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Safari Panther has tabs... you have to turn them on from its preferences. Tiger is great, but you could also certainly explore using Quicksilver (to get searching) and Firefox or Camino (to get the latest browser features).

8. KurtangleTN thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ahh really! Thanks a ton, I don't think I need Tiger then! :)

9. robPOD macrumors 6502

10. PYR0M310N macrumors 6502a

PYR0M310N

Yeah i know someone who has similar specs. upgrade to about 512mb of ram and you should be ok.