tiger quirks... can the be fixed?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by howard, Nov 2, 2005.

1. howard macrumors 68020

howard

I've noticed a few things in Tiger that has changed but i want to change back.

1. when i highlight a few objects in the finder and get info it does it for all of them separately. It used to combine them all. How can I change this back.

2. how can i get rid of the stupid safari dialog that asks me if i'm sure i want to download this program.

2. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

2. Because you'll need it when someone starts thinking about making spyware for Mac OS X.

3. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

command + option + I will give you the combined info inspector.

As a general tip, try holding down the option key in any application and looking through the menus to see what extras are hiding in there.

4. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

Thanks, I've been wondering this too

5. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

I use Saft, which disables the annoying download warnings. I'm sure there are freeware alternatives available.

6. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Not so important if you don't have "open safe files after downloading" selected.

Does the warning still come up if you don't have this selected?

7. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

I think it pops up regardless, and if it doesn't it should, in my opinion. Imagine that a web-site tricks you into downloading a file without you knowing. Later you find a file on your desktop with an interesting but seemingly safe name. Chances are that you double click it, but even if you don't a lot of other people would.

8. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Sadly you're probably right, for the same reason people open attachments they don't know about.

Doesn't mean they shouldn't have an option to turn it off though.

9. howard thread starter macrumors 68020

howard

Exactly

I've been surfing online for my entire life and haven't had a file randomly appear on my desktop. And every strange attachment I've opened has resulted in..nothing.

Would you want someone at a store to come up to you and ask, "are you sure you want to buy that? it might hurt you!" every time you try and buy something? Or have someone enter your house before you just to make sure everything is ok?

turning off the open safe downloads seems to work. but now it won't auto open stuff.

10. LawHog macrumors member

LawHog

This is helpful. I think the combined info inspector should be the default, and the multiple info should require the option key.

11. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

Definitely agree with you on this one. Maybe the next update?

12. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

That combined deal really threw me off when coming back to Mac OS a few years ago, and I kind of like having it back to the old way. You crazy kids with your long hair and metal windows and set theory can all press the option button for all I care. :p :D

13. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

1. Use option-cmd-I, to Show Inspector instead of cmd-I to Get Info. Use System Preferences -> Keyboard & Mouse -> Keyboard Shortcuts to change the two, if you want.

2. Not a good idea, but many 3rd party apps does this, like Taboo, just download, install and use Terminal: defaults write com.ocdev.taboo ShouldDisplaySecurityWarnings -bool NO

14. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Saft is better then this. It give you a TON of options, plus a customizable Google/Search Bar.

15. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Yes, except Taboo is free and doesn't crash Safari on every update... ;)

16. JDOG_ macrumors 6502a

JDOG_

Very, very true.

Another thing I've noticed that's quirky about 10.4 is how different the Image Capture app is. Selecting certain pictures uses a completely different setup than the normal shift & select/drag feature, instead you usually have to use the apple key. Try it & you'll see what I mean.