Tiger reaching Final Release Candidate status!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Zaty, Mar 29, 2005.

1. Zaty macrumors 65816

According to macnews.net.tc, Apple has seeded build 8A425 which is thought to be Final Release Candidate 1. "About this Mac" now doesn't read "Pre-Release" anymore! So it looks like TS was right again and Tiger might come in April.

Link:
    http://story.ch/cgi-bin/macnews.cgi/index.html

2. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

Looking good.

Just want two things from Tiger now.

Released soon

Bug free...well as good as it can be :p

3. NinjaMonkey macrumors regular

I'm guessing it installs on 14in iBooks now.

This is good news, I can't wait to get my hands on Tiger. I seriously need Automator.

4. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Thanks for the info Zaty. I cannot wait, I want it now :D Dashboard, Spotlight and Automator are going to make my life sooo much easier.

5. Zaty thread starter macrumors 65816

Neither can I! Apart from Dashboard and Spotlight, I'm also looking forward to smart folders. I guess having smart folders will be helpful when working on projects.

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I hope that stubborn .Mac sync bug has been squashed.

My guess is that there will be two more builds:

8A426 or 8A427 will be Final Release Candidate 2.
    8A428, 8A429, or 8A430 will be declared the Gold Master.

Once that occurs, the pressing and duplication process will start in preparation for Tiger's release.

7. NinjaMonkey macrumors regular

iDisk sync was fixed in 8A420.

8. Zaty thread starter macrumors 65816

I wonder how many more "A" builds there will be. Earlier OS X version had much higher build numbers when they became Gold Master:

10.0 4K78
    10.1 5G64
    10.2 6C115
    10.3 7B85
    10.4 8A43X?

ONTH, each OS X was released earlier in development than the preceding versions, as far as build numbers are concerned. But as we all know, Tiger has been development for quite some time. So it is interesting, they're still in the "A" range.

9. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Yeah, definitely. All in all this will be an awesome release. I wonder if the adoption rate will be higher/faster than with Jaguar/Panther.

10. Punani macrumors regular

Punani

It's possible Jobs had requested the builds not be updated to try and mask the stage of development to casual observers. Just a thought...

It seems that Apple is really pushing how many more seeds can be released. Jaguar's Final Candidate 1 became the Gold Master the day after it was seeded.

11. Zaty thread starter macrumors 65816

Well, if that was the intention, then the trick certainly worked. Many observers, myself included, didn't (or still don't) believe Tiger could come out before June. Anyway, I guess build numbers don't really count, what counts is the result. Although I'm still surprised (but also happy) we might get chance play around with Tiger as early as next month, I only hope Tiger will be ready for release when it is released, whenever that may be. So please Apple, don't rush it, just for the sake of it. June would still be early enough.

12. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

you know, wouldn't it be awesome if for some reason, they're not done. they just keep on adding features until june, then they ship it! sorry, i just want this to have more bang for my buck here :p

13. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Well, the feature list is already known, and has been known for quite some time. They've just been fixing bugs for about a year.

14. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

8A425 seems pretty usable to me, at least after only a little playing. No obvious problems. .Mac works fine.

I'm waiting to buy a PB to replace my '99 Lombard, and I'm going to order once Tiger comes pre-installed. I'd expected to wait until June. Now... I think it's possible I might be placing an order in a few weeks!

15. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

It's interesting that new 10.3.9 seeds and new Tiger seeds seem to be in sync (there's another new 10.3.9 seed today, 7W87).

The Tiger seed is mentioning some Asian language issues (I'm trying to be vague). Localization testing is normally one of the last steps before release, so we might actually be getting close. One more seed by the weekend? There were times with Panther where we got a new seed every 4 days or so. If the April 1st rumor is true, the next seed would almost certainly have to be GM.

16. MacSA macrumors 68000

MacSA

I wonder what Tiger will do for Mac sales?...I bet there are alot of people waiting for Tiger before switching or upgradeing.....Is there any data/numbers on this ?

17. Zaty thread starter macrumors 65816

That's interesting indeed. But perhaps it's just coincidence. As for 10.3.9, I had a feeling it might be released today as 7W86 was said to be the last build. It's s a good sign Apple tries to get it right with 10.3.9. After all, it's going to be the last Panther build.