Tiger Release Date: Mar 2005

Discussion in 'macOS' started by pimentoLoaf, Jan 28, 2005.

1. pimentoLoaf macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

How do I know?

Can't be certain, but Scott Kelby's Tiger Tips book has a publication date of 25 Mar 2005.

Could this be a more qualified hint than all the rest?

2. maya macrumors 68040

maya

It could or could not be, maybe a coincidence who knows.

There have been multiple threads of this nature in regards to publishing dates on Amazon. :)

3. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Sounds early to me for what we've been hearing about builds, but I'm no expert on this stuff. If it comes out in March, that would equal the 15-month gap between 10.2 and 10.3.

4. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

That would be nice, I just hope they have enough copies for everyone. :)

5. BWhaler macrumors 68020

BWhaler

Most Tiger books are showing a publish date of either 3/24 or 3/25.

I use to be excited about that little "find," but I suspect it is just a generic publishing date and could easily change.

Given the recent rumors of new found functionality in the Tiger builds, including the fact that Steve was using a build at MWSF that is more current than what developers have seen, I suspect Apple is still in development mode, and will start a true beta some time in February.

My bet nowadays is we will see Tiger released at WWDC. Apple can demo to the press and developers new functionality not show publicly, and get developers fired up to build apps for Tiger.

Given this is the last OS upgrade for a couple of years, I am happy to have Apple put as much into Tiger as possible. I'll gladly wait until June for a markedly better OS with tons of new features, less bugs, and more security due diligence.

6. maya macrumors 68040

maya

You can count on a late beta test for Tiger or a early March.

It should be released sometime late April, early May.

Is it me or has Apple placed some advertising emphases on NAB on they site. Not sure if this was prominent in the past, its just a thought. :)

7. zwida macrumors 6502a

zwida

It has certainly grown markedly in the past few years. Once Apple balked at MacWorld Boston (after the whole IDC fiasco), they seemed to immediately increase the profile of WWDC and bump up their participation in NAB.

8. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

It is not uncommon for books on new apps or OS' to appear a month or so before the actual release date. So we may be looking at April or May.

9. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

Didn't the Amazon release date for Tiger awhile back also say March?

10. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....all this stuff has been covered before...Apple does not release things based on what book publishers, Amazon etc say....those people make up dates dates that come and go and change all the time.....oh yeah!

11. Punani macrumors regular

Punani

Really no one knows. And I think Steve Jobs is really cracking down to make sure we don't. Though people have thought that the 10.3.8 update maybe a signal to an update.

To be honest, I feel like Apple's crackdown on the Tiger seeds probably means a closer release than we think, since from what I've read past lawsuits have all been on items/leaks on things close to release.

12. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Yeah I am sure a random bug in the middle of a Keynote with the most latest build that is not even released to developers, signals that its going to be released real soon. :rolleyes: ;) :)

13. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Many publishing cycles are on a financial year basis so if the book is budgeted & planned for in the financial year Apr2004 – Apr2005 then it will be printed before Apr2005 or as soon as possible thereafter...

It also make sense to have those books on the shelves and in the warehouses long before the product is released as consumers might want to buy a book when they buy Tiger.

There are also promotional considerations. Advertising for the book and sending out review copies also takes time...

So in all, this announcement in itself means nothing.
    I think following the reports of developers and the frequency of releases is more reliable... you know we will hear when it's gone gold – the news will be all over this forum like a rash.

14. matthew24 macrumors 6502

matthew24

Hit

Well the Mac mini is going to be a big hit, that means that Apple is going to introduce Tiger as late as possible! ( June! x sold Mac mini's x $129! ) :eek:

15. BillHarrison macrumors 6502

You have that right, I can't wait to have tiger on my Mini, I have 130$ ready and waiting apple, you earned it!

16. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

Is there a date for WWDC yet? Googling does not find one. I would think that logistically, you'd have to have a convention center reserved by now......

17. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

The last week of June, I believe.

18. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

Panther was released at the end of October '03. In fact 10.3.1 was out in early November '03. March '05 would make it 17 months between releases. I'm hoping Tiger is out at least a month or two before WWDC. Who knows.

19. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Sadly not even Steve Jobs can predict bugs. :(

The Tiger development team is already on a deadline so why worry. :)

20. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

I just hope they don't slip. I have an ADC Select membership ($500/yr), which I'm not sure I'll be renewing come July 1st, due to money constraints. As part of my membership, I get all OS seeds and GM releases. Getting a GM OS release for free is one way I justify the membership cost, so I don't want the Tiger release to slip past July 1st. I also get a 20% HW discount, which is the other way I justify the membership cost, but I just got a 2x2.5 GHz PM in September, so I don't think I'll be buying anything else in the near future. Well, unless the G5 PBs come out :)

21. gopher macrumors 65816

The last I looked the first of half of 2005 means through June 30th. So even if they stick to their word and wait till the last day, you'll have an opportunity to get it on the current membership.

22. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I'm so looking forward to Tiger. Dashboard, CoreImage and QT 7 with H.264 are the biggest things for me. Plus at NAB when they introduce FCP 5.0 I am giddy like a little school girl. :)

23. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

That's why I said: "I just hope they don't slip." I'm fine, if they come in on schedule.

24. Punani macrumors regular

Punani

Perhaps this is a dead horse...but I just wanted to put one more thought into this thread.

NAB is in April, and there are predictions that Apple is going to launch Final Cut Pro 5 there (After all this is the year of HD*)...it's likely it's going to require Quicktime 7 because of numerous deficiencies in Quicktime 6 (e.g. Quicktime does not have proper 5.1 audio support).

*Yes I know there's Final Cut Pro HD, but that's not really a major upgrade. It's a stop-gap.