Tiger Release Date

Discussion in 'OS X' started by Punani, Oct 13, 2004.

1. macrumors regular

Punani

2. macrumors 6502

3. macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Wow...

Apple is gonna be pissed...

4. Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I wouldn't hold your breath though. Amazon may have just picked a resonable date so that they could fill in a date on their forms.

5. macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

I find it hard to believe that this is the actual release date. Apple said Tiger would be released in the first half of 2005, and this date is the midway point of this 6 month timeframe, which is probably why Amazon chose it.

This date is on a Thursday, and as I recall, both Jaguar and Panther were released on a Saturday. I believe Apple held release parties on Friday evenings, and after midnight the OS went on sale. I don't see them holding any special events on a Wednesday evening.

6. macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Good point...

I agree with the assessment about March 31st being the mid point, but I know Panther was not released on a Saturday and am unsure about Jaguar.

7. macrumors newbie

Why would they choose the 31st when the 24th is the anniversary?

8. macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

You're right. Panther was released at 8:00pm on Friday, October 24th. Here is the press release from Apple:

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2003/oct/08panther.html

I said Saturday because I was in Zurich, Switzerland that weekend, and when I went by an Apple reseller on Friday night they had no copies of Panther out, but when I went by the same store on Saturday morning, Panther boxes lined the windows.

Jaguar was released on Saturday, August 24th. Here is the press release from Apple:

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2002/jul/17jaguar.html

9. macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

I thought Amazon has had this date since WWDC in June. It's really just a guess from what I hear. I actually wouldn't be surprised if it shows up at MWSF. :p

10. macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Ha! Some third-party seller going through Amazon claims to have a copy in stock for twelve dollars :D

. . . Oops, gone already! I hope that was pulled by Amazon, and not someone getting taken.

11. kan
    macrumors newbie

Tiger Release Date

Hello all i talked to a pal that works at a apple retail store and he says that apple has told the retail stores that Tiger will be out in the first Quarter of 2005!!!!!!!! and today the apple website updated the Tiger Tour so it might be sooner than we think!!!!