Tiger released.. but on DVD only!?!?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by TMA, Apr 12, 2005.

1. TMA macrumors 6502a

TMA

Great news that Tiger has been announced and shipping before 29th April!

I've just been checking over the pages at apple.com and I notice on the store it says in the box is a DVD. On the requirements page (http://www.apple.com/macosx/upgrade/requirements.html) it says slot loading iMacs are compatible with Tiger but I dont see how if only a few slot loaders had DVD Roms?

I'm abit confused. My mac meets the requirements but I only have a CDRW.

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

They have been saying DVD only for a while now. Its just the path that computers are taking. You can buy or borrow an external. Or you can borrow another mac with a DVD drive and put it into target mode (I think this will work).

3. TMA thread starter macrumors 6502a

TMA

4. tigercub macrumors newbie

Also on CD

On US website can download form in pdf to order cd version of Tiger.

"Tiger ships on a DVD, but if your Mac doesn’t have a built-in DVD-ROM player, you’ll need CD media. When you buy Mac OS X Tiger, you qualify to purchase Tiger CDs for only $9.95.
    Download the Orderform
    http://images.apple.com/macosx/pdf/tigermediaexchange.pdf"

I would presume the same will be posted on the UK site in the near future.

5. rtdgoldfish macrumors 6502a

rtdgoldfish

Well, that is a pain. Wonder how long it will take for them to ship the CDs. So if I order a family pack, what do they do?? I will want DVD for my Mini and CD for my iBook. Was gonna get a family pack. Guess I have to order two copies and exchange one of them through this program...

Come on Apple, I'm sure there are many others in my situation. Make a better solution than this please!!!

6. JeffTL macrumors 6502a

My iBook only has CD-ROM and since I don't know how Tiger would work on an external DVD, I'll just wait for my next Mac to go Tiger.

Might get it at academic rate for the iMac, though.

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

It was a toss up whether or not it would ship DVD when we first heard about Tiger, but as things kept going, Apple was shipping more and more on DVD. Even though they are "still" selling CD-ROM only units today in education.

And it's probably cheaper for Apple to ship a single DVD now than a bunch of CDs.

But we all know that Apple leaves machines behind with every new OS, and the switch to DVDs was the next logical step.

---

At least Apple is still selling CDs to the people that need them... ;)

We've been warning people that the refurb education units without DVDs would be a problem, though I wondered how many people went ahead and bought them anyway. :confused: