Tiger Requirements!!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SpaceMagic, Apr 12, 2005.

1. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

Have you seen the Tiger requirements:

Hardware Requirements

Mac OS X v10.4 Tiger requires a Macintosh with:

* PowerPC G5, G4 or G3 processor
    * Built-in FireWire
    * At least 256MB of physical RAM
    * DVD Drive

That puts all USB and CD machines out! I think it's more user friendly of apple to say firewire only machines than saying "machines over 400mhz" because some people just wouldn't know the speed of their computer AND this OS obviously needs more CPU power (the link being that firewire didn't appear really until 400mhz machines (with exception of B&W powermac)). However, the DVD drive thing is a bit dodgy.

2. iGary Guest

iGary

READ FURTHER.

You can get a CD install.

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

so anyone have any ideas about the video card requirements??

4. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

There are no video card requirements, just not all video cards support CoreImage.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/coreimage/ gives a list of what video cards support CoreImage, but Tiger will run on computers that are not equipped with those video cards.

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

thanks thats what i meant and was looking for...

6. SpaceMagic thread starter macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

iGary.. i know about the CDs.. but you have to pay for shipping and handling etc. They could do DVD versions and Cd versions choosing online. This way people buy Tiger.. and get basically a useless box and have to wait to send off for cds... and then for them to be delivered!

7. iGary Guest

iGary

Oh, OK, it didn't state that in your first post, sorry.

I guess the logistics of doing that...wonder if you can creat a disc image, and then burn to CD? :confused:

8. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Well, it's going to be awful hard to create a disk image from a DVD if you don't have a DVD drive. ;)

OTOH if you are using a friend's DVD drive to create the image, it would probably be easier just to take your computer over there and install it.

I don't think it will work though, unless you break the single DVD install package into the separate CD sized installer packages, and then trick the computer into allowing you to switch discs.

9. TigerPRO macrumors 6502

Hardly anyone is going to need the CD versions. It's almost like people demanding that Apple make Tiger available in a floppy disc set. Come on people, get with the times. Tiger takes up to 4GB of space on your HD, CDs are becoming downright primative and inadequate. Get over them, move on.

The only reason Apple is inconveniencing people with only CDROM drives is because they know the number of DVDs to the number of CDs their going to sell is going to be highly unproportional. Like less than 1% (ok, maybe a slight exaggeration). But the point is, to make a whole separate product for just CDs would be like selling Macs with PS/2 ports. And that's retarded.

10. SpaceMagic thread starter macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

I wouldn't call selling the Mac mini with a PS/2 port "retarted" - it would have been a lot more useful to switchers.

Also, it's not true about the DVD. There are iMacs and iBooks up to 700mhz and eMac G4s 800+ with CDRW/CDROM only! What about these? I wouldn't call them 1%.

11. TigerPRO macrumors 6502

Alright, fine... 2%

12. TigerPRO macrumors 6502

In all seriousness though, I do agree there are allot of working Macintosh computers that doesn't have DVDROM drives. But the point isn't that thousands of peopel won't be affected (they will), the point is that even those thousands of people are dwarfed in comparison with the numbers of computers that do have DVDROM drives.

Another point is worthy of note. Not only are these unsupported system a very low marketshare, but much fewer people using them are going to be likely "Tiger Upgraders". Most poeple who are going to be eveb interested in a way cool modern new OS are going to themselves already have a way cool modern new computer. Apple has sold hundereds of thousands of new computers each quarter sense the phasing out of CDROM only drives.

13. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

You can always do a network install if you have access to another Mac with a DVD drive. That's what I did in order to install iLife '05 on an older G3 iMac recently.

14. TigerPRO macrumors 6502

Retarded - To cause to move or proceed slowly; delay or impede.

PS/2 ports are way slow. Apple was smart I think in pushing on into the future without alowing themselves to have to drag behind them the huge weight of staying compliant with old useless technology. It was smart to abandom the floppy when they did, it is smart to abandon CDs.

What Apple should have done with the Mac mini, was not add a PS/2 port, but throw a "PS/2 -> USB adapter" into the box. Otherwise they would have ruined the perfect example of modern, forwarding looking technology the mini exibits.

15. mcadam macrumors 6502a

mcadam

A network install? how do you do that?

A

16. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Perhaps there are a lot of Macs without DVD ROMs. But it seems to me that these people clearly don't care about keeping their hardware up to date, so how many of them care about keeping their software up to date?

17. liv2wrshp macrumors member

I'd like to know how to do a network install as well.

18. mcadam macrumors 6502a

mcadam

I think that in general people tend to get more emotianally involved with their hardware than the software. Fx. the Mac plus was by far more charming than any software you could fit into two floppy disks.

Likewise, in my household we have one PB and two iBooks. Now we won't have the slightest bad feelings to erase the OS 10.3/2 that's on them. But even though the iBooks do not have dvd drives we love them just too much to have them adopted or sold as spareparts (God forbit..) just because we wanna upgrade the OS :p

The reasons could be financial too...

So, how do you do a network install?

A

19. Ktulu macrumors regular

Ktulu

I am one of those people who do not have a DVD, not even a ComboDrive. I have a 450 G3 B/W. Yes my hardware is old, however I do not heve the resources to upgrade my machine every time, or even every other time a processor or model changes.

However I am currently running Panther. I would like to keep up on the newes OS that I can, but $129 is much easier to come up with than $5,000 <- this is with upgraded memory, etc.

20. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Yeah...

I think the guidelines for Tiger are quite fair. As someone who keeps my hardware and software relatively up to date, I would fume if software upgrades suffered because Apple catered to the lowest common denominator (making sure new stuff ran well on older machines) rather than attempting to push the limits by taking advantage of the newest hardware (relatively new, anyway).
    Let's face it, Tiger would be more expensive for all if it shipped on both CD and DVD. All companies charge more if they have to make "different but equal" versions of a product.
    Face it, if you have an older machine that does not match up to the lowest specs for a new operating system, maybe you should think about upgrading your machine or simply not buy Tiger. Just because a new OS is developed does not the old one doesn't work as well anymore.

21. TigerPRO macrumors 6502

Well, look at the bright side. After the $5,000 you won't have the pay the $129. Or why not just pick yourself up one of these Mac minis. It would be dirt cheap and definately an improvement on what you've got. Plus you'd have Tiger.

22. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

23. mcadam macrumors 6502a

mcadam

Hello TigePRO - I guess you're a pro. But some people are still just students. Or just a bit poor. So 5000$ or 1000$ is just not available to keep hardware "up to date". Strange so many people can't imagine that.

Anyway, this is really a non-issue since apple is making tiger available on dvd AND cd's. It's just a bit more complicated if you need the cd's. Which seem fair enough.

A

24. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

I am pretty sure he was kidding about the $5,000/$129 comment.
    Oh, and if you're a student, you don't HAVE to keep your software OR hardware up to date. Does it really matter to your profs whether you write a paper on an SE-30 with Office 98 or a dual G5 with Office 2004?
    And I agree with your point about it only being a bit more complicated to get the CDs.

25. iGary Guest

iGary

Thought he could use another machine, onto iPod, but yeah, it's a pain.