Tiger Revision Wishlist

Discussion in 'macOS' started by QFace, Apr 30, 2005.

1. QFace macrumors member

QFace

Was anybody expecting something, thought it was going to be amazing, but the feature didn't end up meeting your expectations? List them here.

My gripe is with the new mail. I was really looking forward to smart mailboxes because I was hoping they would be able to clean up my inbox automatically. I have a lot of university mailing lists that clutter up my mailbox, so I wanted an option in smart mailboxes that would allow me to move mail from my inbox to the smart mailbox folder (instead of just having a version of the e-mail in my inbox and another in my smart mailbox). Now that I have the product, I realize I shouldn't have expected this feature because the smart mailboxes are really just permenant, real-time search folders, but even so, if my feature was enabled, it would have been awesome.

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Use Mail Rules instead. That will actually do the job of physically moving your mail messages to the appropriate folders.

3. QFace thread starter macrumors member

QFace

Oh, very nice... I guess I probably could've done this in panther though... you learn something new everyday

4. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Look in my signature for my always updated list of things we need to see in 10.4.1.

Number one is that it ships with iTunes 4.7.1. I want iTunes 4.8 or better yet, iTunes 5. They ship a new codec in Quicktime which plays HD Video, a fundamental part of the iTunes MUSIC VIDEO SECTION, and it also enhances sound, a fundamental part of the iTUNES JUKEBOX.

Also, H.264 doesnt play well with older models, or brand new models which are high end, but not a PowerMac.

AND Expose is slow.

5. iGary Guest

iGary

I'm very pleased so far. I have heard complaints of slowness in Spotlight, but mine is lightning fast.

I love Dashboard.

Can't wait to dig into Automater.

I like Mail...so far. Much easier to set up accounts.

My request: get rid of the pinstripes completely. They're still not gone.

6. raynegus macrumors regular

You can't move the picture around with that "hand" tool anymore in Preview. They took it away from the toolbar, and it's not available in customize either. Now you have to look around a large picture with the sliders. Bummer.

7. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

After looking at your sig, i see the H.264 playing bad on anything but a G5... That simply the requirements man. the math involved in decompressing the video is pretty intensive. It works pretty good on my 1.33ghz G4 powerbook, i expect it would run clean on a 1.5 or 1.67 too. I'm talking about HD quality though, from the HD Gallery on the quicktime page. I've tried a few other H.264 videos and they don't require a G5 at all, they run smooth as butter on my powerbook and look great. The HD stuff does skip a few frames here and there on my powerbook though. Just the way the cookie crumbles.

8. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Hold down the spacebar, then click-drag inside Preview to scroll around.

9. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

I would like to be able to Tab through text boxes, checkboxes, radio buttons, etc. in Safari like you could in the later versions of Safari on Panther. Now I can only text boxes before going back to the address menu. In Panther I could Tab from text boxes to check boxes to radio buttons.

Feels like Safari 2 was one of the first apps finished in Tiger and they forgot to add all the features added to Safari in Panther in the end.

10. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

1) allow me to Cmd-E eject my internal mounted drives/partitions.

2) allow me to put my Mail.app mailboxes BACK on the right!

11. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

I want to be able to save my Core Image Fun House things as quicktime movies ><! I am having so much fun with it.

Also to make the "Effect Stack" window in the same program to have a scroll bar in it, because once i add about 4 effects i can't edit them without deleting one effect so it comes back on my screen :/

12. shidoshi macrumors regular

Safari > Prefs > Advanced. There is an option there that does what I think you're asking for.

13. shambolic macrumors regular

Agreed. I tried a few of the HD H.264 samples on my 1.67GHz (1GB RAM) powerbook. Visually stunning, and for the most part the video was smooth, just occasional choppiness, usually at the start of the clip. And this was on 10.3.9 - from what I've read of the improved graphical frameworks in Tiger, I may be able to expect it to perform even better once I upgrade.

But H.264 doesn't have to mean HD. A good test stream, if you ordered Tiger online, is the "exclusive seminar". This is an H.264 stream (as indicated by Get Info in QT Player) of a more reasonable size, plays super-smooth and the quality is definitely a cut above what we're used to from Apple for, say, WWDC and MWSF webcasts.

I can also reveal (if it's not been done elsewhere) that the seminar runs just fine on 10.3.9 + QT7, despite the claim that you need Tiger in the email.
    Something to occupy those of us still waiting for our pre-orders to come in.. :)

14. raynegus macrumors regular

Thanks!!!

15. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

ya i was bored waiting on hold with apple looking to get some info on when Tiger might show up at my doorstep and started watching the seminar on 10.3.9 with QT7... looked amazing. not bad for streaming i must say :p

I'm sure there's still a bit of optimizing to do in quicktime and even in Tiger but for the most part i'm happy with H.264 on my powerbook. If i were doing lots of video editing.. i'd be looking at a G5 for sure though :p

I think i might download the 1080i H.264 movies and give it a try to see how badly they play on my poor powerbook lol.. i know they won't play well at all.