Tiger Shocker !

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DerChef, May 18, 2005.

1. DerChef macrumors 6502

DerChef

:eek:

My copy of Tiger arrived the day it should have. Installed it with a simple upgrade (my fault as I was rushing through the installation, after I realised what I had done was ready for a clean install).

Soon realised this was unnecessary as it was stable. Only bug I noticed was the ctrl-click in Safari on rare occasions.

Well what do you know , no problems at all seems to be a bit zippier as well. Spotlight is wow, Uk Yellow pages dashboard widgets is just what I have needed for years. Automator I have produced a nice little workflow to archieve downloads for moving to another computer and cleaning up afterwards.

Only thing it seemed to break was GIMP which I hardly used anyway. Httpmail, PocketMac and Toast all fine after updates.

Mind you my Powerbook was only a month old before Tiger came out so not much detritus in it and I did my homework before installing it namely getting shot of potential problem 3rd part aps.

By the way I am not a spokesman for Apple as I had a post taken off their Support forum after saying what a load of expensive bug ridden **** .Mac is.

:D

Basically I think people who are on here moaning must be well in the minority

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

And the shocking part?...

Yeah, I'm glad you're happy but I could have told you it'd be nice 'n easy. ;)

3. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

I was "shocked" yesterday when I went to do my online banking and low-and-behold.... No Internet Explorer!! :eek:

I had to download Firefox to do my banking.

4. DerChef thread starter macrumors 6502

DerChef

Well that is one of the "benefits" of a simple upgrade
    :D But seriously Internet Explorer for Mac is old, slow and wont be updated again.

My Bank website complains bitterly when I log in using Safari but ultimately lets in me in with no problems :)

5. TreeHugger macrumors 6502

Wow, I didn't even notice that windows explorer is not included with Tiger anymore. I don't need it though :)

6. emw macrumors G4

emw

So does Safari not work, or does the site tell you it doesn't support it?

You can enable the debug menu in Safari and tell it to "announce" itself as Windows IE 6, and probably not have any issues.

When Safari is off, in terminal type:

% defaults write com.apple.Safari IncludeDebugMenu 1

Then relaunch Safari. You'll now have a Debug menu.

7. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

I cloned Panther to a FW drive, did a clean install of Tiger and then used Migration Assistant to bring over all my settings, apps and home folder, so IE came along for the ride. Having said that, I can't remember the last time I used IE. My banking has worked fine with Safari.

8. thequicksilver macrumors 6502a

thequicksilver

I had a pretty nightmareish upgrade install from Panther to Tiger. After about 48 hours I bit the bullet and went for an Archive and Install, which has worked a lot better. Still not perfect, but it's acceptable now, whereas before it was a complete mess.

9. Apple macrumors 6502

Apple

i guess my "shocker" was that safari would bounce once and die. Little did I know acidsearch was installed. I was lucky too, because I could use realplayer browser to ifiure out what the problem was.