Tiger speed weirdness

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Powerbook G5, May 3, 2005.

1. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Has anyone noticed that upon startup, Tiger is actually kind of slow compared to Panther, but suddenly after a few minutes of clicking around and opening a Finder window or two, it gets really, really, really fast and nearly instantaneous at doing tasks? It is kind of odd, I get a lot of beachballs at first that Panther never had. Maybe it is some kind of new VM implementation?

By the way of speed increases I noticed...nice bootup times, I like having to only wait like 20 seconds to restart and the 27 minute install time to upgrade. Airport Express seems a lot faster, along with Safari's HTML rendering and Java handling.

I still need to get used to the system I guess.

2. iGary Guest

iGary

Where have you been?!

And yes, I have notice slower startups on all my machines, but fast performance overall.

3. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I have first dibs on the name "PowerBook G6", just to let you know. ;)

4. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

My actual startup time has increased a few seconds, but nothing to complain about. I think the system is more snappy then on Panther, but maybe that's just because I want it to feel more snappy. Oh well.

Powerbook G5, where have yo been? You only post like once a month, and your average Posts per day is still almost 6 :eek:

5. Powerbook G5 thread starter macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I was insanely busy with my senior year of college. I had two 30+ papers to write, six 12-16 papers, and all the other random things I had to do along with working 30+ hours a week, sooooo, I was a bit scarce. I'm finally graduated, though, and my last act a week before was to take advantage of buying Tiger for only $69. It was a graduation gift to me...along with a performance chip and track use only air filter for my car... ;)

I am planning on being around more often again...and trying to get used to Tiger along the way. I still find speed to be spotty here and there, but overall it is a lot faster.

6. iGary Guest

iGary

Congratulations on graduating!

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah, congrats on grad'ing and welcome back! :)

I haven't rebooted Tiger enough times to notice...hmmm...maybe only once ever? But perhaps it has something to do with Dashboard initializing? I used to have Mail, iCal, AdBk and iSync open in the background on boot, and this slowed things way down... Or maybe it has to do with Spotlight.