Tiger takes forever to boot, then doesn't load.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by maxpayne.co.uk, Jun 13, 2005.

1. maxpayne.co.uk macrumors member

I turn on my eMac, its all good, then OS X starts up and the first blue bar increases slowly and when it reaches the end it just sits there.

Any immediate solutions for this? Its not a hardware problem, as I installed a fresh copy on a crappy 4GB drive and it worked.

2. csubear macrumors 6502a

csubear

3. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

Tiger should start up in about half the speed that Panther did, atleast thats my case. My solution for you is to get a better computer.

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

What have you tried for troubleshooting?

Booted from the installer and run Disk Utility (Repair Disk)? Run a 3rd party disk utility? Booted in verbose mode to try and nail down the place it stops? Booted in Single User Mode and read logs? Booted in safe mode to see if you get past the break?

5. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

You've probably got a corrupted installation; Tiger runs very nicely on both of our G4 machines here.
    Boot from the Tiger CD and run disk utility.

6. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Sound Advice, tiger should not take that long to load. My blue bar just whips across the screen before I can draw my next breath (dual G5s :D). Try disk utility, that should take care of your problem.

7. maxpayne.co.uk thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the suggestions, but my OS X install was working fine before. Then it was just going slowly.

Idiotic answer for a long standing member of this board - my 1.25Ghz eMac is fine for the job. Not all of us can afford Dual PowerMacs just to run Safari :rolleyes:

I fixed the problem though. Before it gave a disk error when trying to install OS X, so I ran a disk utility check and it gave errors and couldnt fix them. I Googled the problem and ran DiskWarrior, which fixed the problem and allowed me to do an archive and install of the OS.

8. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

That might be a solution in the Windows world... but Macs should *just work*.

I suggest you ignore this advice and follow the other suggestions and see if there is a problem with the HD, etc.

Woof, Woof - Dawg

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I nominate this for the least helpful suggestion in this thread.

10. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Of course because everyone just has $2000 to blow at a moment's notice.

11. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Calm down people. A new/better computer would improve things but that's probably not the most economical answer. Let's all move on now. :)

12. me_94501 macrumors 65816

me_94501

Boot off an OS X CD/DVD and run Disk Utility from the installer and be absolutely sure that the eMac's hard drive isn't failing.