Tiger Tech Talks

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Punani, Oct 25, 2004.

1. Punani macrumors regular

Punani

Apple is now offering free (With an ADC membership--the free kind) day-long sessions about Tiger, appropriately dubbed, "Tiger Tech Talks" being offered during the month of November in select cities: Austin, Los Angeles, Chicago, Seattle, Boston, and Newark.

This seems like another gimmick by Apple to keep developers excited about Tiger, however, it also seems that they are really pushing folks to adopt the new Tiger technologies while it's in pre-release so Apple can make a bigger splash by stating how easy it was for developers to convert and/or add on the advances for Tiger's launch.

Knowing Apple's position on showmanship, one might guess the latter, but I might be reading too hard into the lines...

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Is it so wrong to inform?

Apple used to have "kitchens" to provide usefuls hands-on experiences with your own code and their minds to work through issues. Apple also has had a rocky relationship with developers from the start and improves temporarily only to make more people upset in the long run.

Hopefully, reaching out with TTT will help improve and inform.

3. Punani thread starter macrumors regular

Punani

I'm not saying it's bad, it just seemed oddly timed given the gimmicky "Tiger Early Start Kit" just last week. I applaud this venture by Apple, it's great for developers and I think you're clearly right on the idea of trying to open up to the community.

I have to ask though, where did this animosity between Apple and its developers start from? I got interested in Apple because of Mac OS X, and I am aware of the blunder of Copland; the Sherlock-Watson debacle and current complaints that Dashboard is doing the same to Konfabulator, but are these the basic reasons? Is there something that Apple does or doesn't do that infuriates developers?

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

If you didn't know about Claris, it was a subsidiary created because developers were complaining that Apple competed directly with them, especially in word processors and spreadsheets.

Of course, they've competed lately with various software products but it's not those products that exacerbate the rift. In my opinion, it's that the ADC staff goes from extremely helpful to extremely combative. There is no consistency. One day, they're friends, and others, your most bitter enemies. I no longer ask for help of any kind from them.

(No, I'm not at all bitter. :D)