Tiger Tweaks Could Kill Folders

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jsw, Jun 9, 2005.

1. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

From Wired:

Not news to us, but nice to see in the media.

2. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

Old habits are gonna be REAL hard to break. I view folders as if in the physical world in a file cabinet. Sure, with Spotlight I can just throw my stuff all over the room and find it whenever I want, but I'm into organization - whether or not it's necessary :p

3. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Yeah, me too. I'll never go solely on Spotlight. I'll definitely open most of my files by going through nested folders to get to them. For me, Spotlight will be for the obscure file, not everyday use.

4. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

It's news to me

I read that article but still don't quite understand what they're saying in regards to Spotlight and folders in Tiger. Could someone perhaps sum up the main point of the article?

Does it mean you can't have folders inside other folders in Tiger? Or Spotlight doesn't work/search folders inside other folders? :confused:

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Sure, old habits certainly die hard but I'm really trying to use Spotlight more. At the moment I'm kind of using both because I've got everything nicely sorted into folders and I'll use Spotlight to bring up the folder, then I'll select the file I want. Sure, using Spotlight to find the file straight away would be faster but half the time I can't remember what it was called.

6. swheeler macrumors member

Everything still works fine, just like you're used too. The point is with spotlight you no longer need folders. They're saying people will eventually stop using them altogether.