Tiger Universal w/ Mac Book ?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by andy_bernstein, Jun 27, 2006.

1. andy_bernstein macrumors newbie

Hello,

I'm about to purchase my first Intel Mac (MacBook to be exact - I have three PPCs at home) but I'm still using Panther (10.3.9) on all my current Macs.

My question is: is the Tiger DVD included with the Macbook 'universal' or is it 'Intel Mac' only ?

With the education discount, Tiger is only $69 so I can always go that way but I'd rather invest into Applecare (no kidding - expecially with a laptop).

Thank you for your input,

AB.

2. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I'm pretty sure it's Intel and MacBook specific so you won't be able to use it to install Tiger on all of your other machines.

Plus it's not exactly legal either...

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Not to mention that it would be a violation of the license even if it did work.

The Tiger family pack is what you'll need to get for your PPC computers.

4. CoMpX macrumors 65816

CoMpX

In order to install Tiger legally on all of your machines you would have to buy the Tiger Family Pack.

EDIT: Beaten by WildCowboy.

5. andy_bernstein thread starter macrumors newbie

OK,

Thank you for letting me know.

I didn't know I was limited to one install - Now I know.

Well understood for the Family Pack.

Thanks to the education discount, the family pack is *affordable* (sigh of relief).

Thanks again,

Andrew.

6. CoMpX macrumors 65816

CoMpX

Just a thought, instead of investing in Tiger now, you might want to wait until Leopard comes out. This way, you won't have to spend money on another upgrade.

7. andy_bernstein thread starter macrumors newbie

True I could wait until Leopard but I need to use my Isight camera while I'm away and I don't think it's possible with Panther 10.3.9 (it seems Ichat AV is only supported under Tiger).

Andrew.

8. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

And what's the rush to upgrade, anyway?

Panther.9 is quite good -- I have it on my secondary machine. I use that one primarily for e-mail and iTunes, so I don't really need the Tiger features that I'd miss (Dashboard and Spotlight).

I would say definitely wait for Leopard and then ask if you even want to transition three additional machines -- but I'm kind of a techno-luddite that way.... :)

9. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Ok, now I'm just stating this as a question, but:
    Why would Apple include a Universal Binary version of Mac OS X with its Products - e.g. MacBook, PowerMac G5, MacBook Pro, iMac?

The only reason i coudl see apple doing that is so that if Discs mixed up they would work on the machine any ways. (sorry I know I have sp mistakes, but bare with it).

10. w8ing4intelmacs macrumors 6502a

I haven't tried it with my MBP, but I coudl boot other Macs with my Powerbook (Target disk mode) and with my backups. I'm assuming I can only boot intel Macs with my MBP.

11. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816

jadekitty24

Oh yes, the family pack is the way to go. A buddy of mine bought 2 separate copies of Tiger and when I told him he could save money by buying the family pack he was devastated.

I really hate to hijack this thread, but I have a quick question along these lines. If I have a family pack of anti-virus software (includes license for 5 separate machines) would it be a violation to install a copy on my parents machine? Even though they don't live with me and I don't own the pc it will be installed on? Again, sorry to hijack. :eek:

12. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

It depends on the terms of the license agreement. But in most cases, all of the machines have to be in the same household.

13. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816

jadekitty24

'Kay, thanks! :)